Pedulla Thunderbass ET5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

There is a beautiful Thunderbass ET5 with Zebra wood top that I am interested in buying unseen and unplayed.

There doesn't seem to be much info out there on these, so I am trying to find out all I can.

Any thoughts on how they sound, especially compared with Roscoe, MTD, Ken Smith and other 'modern basses'?

Does the neck thru construction create an overly compressed tone or is it punchy enough?
  2. LaBassGuy

No opinions? Really?
  3. p5string

p5string

Well, my '03 ET5 has been my main bass since, well-'03! Mine is a Cocobola ET5 so I can't be specific about the Zebra top ones. I've heard a few and they are very similar but not quite as lower mid specific if you understand that. If you'd like I can send you a few studio tracks that I did a while back. The bass was run direct into a board through an API preamp. The API is fairly neutral so you should be able to get an idea of how the natural bass sounds. I ran the bass flat (no on board eq). You should get an idea of how the bass will sound in a band context although YMMV depending on the type of music you play.
  4. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I currently have a cocobolo top Thunderbass and had a quilt maple top before. Awesome instruments. They have a modern vibe with some growl. Especially when using Pedulla stainless steel strings. I personally love the sound. Not the mid honk of a Smith. Probably not as "fat" as the Bart/Bart Roscoe but similar sound. Maybe more articulate? Sustain for days. Nice low action. No mid pot on the Pedulla though that may be an issue for some. Never bothered me.

Do some searches for Ric Fierabracci on YouTube. He's playing Thunderbasses pretty much exclusively now.

My favorite two necks in the business are original Tobias and Pedulla Thunderbasses. Thundetbasses balance very well and are superb quality instruments.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LaBassGuy

But I've read in few posts that it's bit too focused on the lows, lacks mids, it's too smooth, etc.

You guys agree with that? I have a Pedulla Buzz so not sure how it compares in tone with that.
  7. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

It's been a long time but, I remember the two being different animals. I bought a new thunderbass et5 in '96 and than a 6 string buzz as a back up. I didn't keep the buzz for long but held onto the TBass for many years an regret selling it to this day.

The only issue I had with mine was that the neck would shift in the winter months ( not in a bad way) in new england. Always kept the truss wrench handy.

I wish I could afford a new thunder bass. I'd buy one in a second if I had the loot. Pedulla makes excellent basses and they are great people to deal with.

One day I just decided to show up at the factory and brought my bass. They set it up/ showed me how to set it up and gave me a bunch of swag and a tour.
  8. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Lacking mids is not how I'd describe a Thunderbass. Especially when you engage the Thuderguts switch. Thunderous mids then!
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

In that category it's one of my favorites. They are definately smooth like any neck through, compared to bolt ons, but they get great sounds. I end up preferring simpler basses, but I'd take an et5 over a smith every time. They play perfectly and look good.
  10. LaBassGuy

p5string sent some studio clips of the Pedulla. Indeed, it has a big, low-mid focused sound. Not honky sounding like Ken Smith; not super hi-fi with sizzle like MTD. If anything, it seems closer to Roscoe tone--maybe not as thumpy given it's a neck thru.
  11. p5string

p5string

my ET5 was recorded with on board controls flat. The API pre was, as memory serves, also pretty flat as well. However, let me assure you that the instrument can get as much hi-fi sizzle as you want. There aren't too many tonal variants that it can't get. Of course no one bass fits all needs so YMMV.