Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 - bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low_blow, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Low_blow

Low_blow

Hi, folks!
    I've just bought a used Pedulla Thunderbolt TB5 19mm. Previous owner installed an aftermarket bridge, which is 18 mm. I don't understand, why he just did not buy the same model of the bass but with closer spacing at bridge. I'm used to 19 mm spacing, so I want to change the bridge.
    I contacted Pedulla via e-mail, and they said that their newer bridges differ from those on older basses (the serial # tells me that my bass was made in 2000). The manufacturer changed the distance between screw holes slightly.
    I measured the difference between the holes on my bass. So, there are 5 screw holes, 19 mm center-to-center, just like the strings spacing.

Maybe someone modded their Thunderbolt by replacing the stock bridge (Rapture has the same bridge, as I'm concerned)? I don't want to drill new holes in the body.
    Thanks.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps not what you want to hear but I think you are looking at dowling the old holes, and installing a new bridge in the correct position and drilling new holes.

However, if you do some careful research on the bridges that Hipshot produces, you should be able to get a drawing of the bolt pattern and measurements of the bridge they make. You may get lucky and find one where the mounting holes line up.

I'd get a Hipshot A style bridge with adjustable bridge saddles for spacing just to be sure you can get the spacing exactly where you want it. Good luck.

3. Low_blow

Low_blow

I'm a big fan of Hipshot products, too: I like their bridges and X-tenders. It seems that both of their "A" and "B" type bridges would not work on my bass without drilling. I may end up with one of those if I fail to find the one with the same distance between screws.
    I've just e-mailed ABM, asking to send me the dimensions of their bass bridges. Probably one of their models would fit.

4. Doug Parent

Just curious what your considerations are about drilling new holes?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low_blow

Low_blow

Someone has drilled a few holes for the current bridge (which has 6 holes instead of 5 on the original one). Drilling some new holes will be too much for my bass.
    I didn't notice that the bridge had been replaced, and the seller didn't tell me.

7. Doug Parent

Oh sorry to hear. I imagine you were surprised when you removed the bridge to discover all those holes. (Holy ****!) Sorry couldn't resist. Maybe because I build and repair basses it's not much for me to plug some holes and drill new ones. Although you might consider getting some hardwood dowels and glue those in and let everything harden up nice. I use a dremel tool afterwards to shave off the high parts afterwards and then carefully drill new holes with nice clean pilot holes in exactly the right spot. Once everything is solid and plugged it's like starting from scratch almost. Good luck

8. Low_blow

Low_blow

I got the idea. Like I said, if I fail to find the direct replacement bridge, I will definately follow your advice. Thank you for your input!

9. Doug Parent

Happened to come across this on my hard drive in case you might find it useful.

Attached Files:

10. Low_blow

Low_blow

I might be blind! Hipshot "A" style would fit. I've just ordered the bridge from ABM, who manufactures bridges for Pedulla, the model number is 3505g19 (for 19 mm string spacing). They are going to discontinue this model and have a limited stock of them right now. They even offered a discount because of that.
    Thank you for your help, Doug Parent!

11. Doug Parent

Thats a success story. Your welcome.