1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

pedulla used value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PMC89, Sep 27, 2007.

1. PMC89

PMC89

how the hell do they take such a hit on the secondary market? they seem t lose 50% of their value. they seem like excellent basses.

i'm a tad confused.

2. Jagdmusik

Jagdmusik

AUDIENCE MEMBER: "What kind of bass do you got there?"
    ME: "It's a Pedulla Rapture."
    THEM: "A what? Never heard of that company."
    ME: "Well, Pedulla's kind of a high-end thing. You don't see many of them around."
    THEM: "Who plays 'em?"
    ME: "Ummm... Mark Egan?"
    THEM: "Who?"
    ME: "Nevermind... some jazz guy. Pedulla seems to be more popular for studio musicians."

So Reason #1: The mass market doesn't know about Pedullas.

My guess on Reason #2 is that for awhile in the 90's, with the introduction of the Rapture, Pedulla seemed to be ramping up production and making a run for the lower-high-end section of the market. This was at the same time as Alembic was pushing the Epic and Warwick was really emerging (at least in my area).

End result: Warwick won out. Pedulla shrank its capacity and withdrew back to the upper regions of the high end, since it no longer had the volume to produce entry-priced stuff. The purchase price of a new Rapture climbed from maybe $1200 in '95 or so, to more like $2000 in '03. So the cheaper early Raptures on the used market serve to depress the percentage resale of the new ones.

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Say:
    "The guy from Muse"

And everybody knows what you are talking about.

Would like to try a Rapture myself... if i have the money and one show up on Ebay, i will probaly buy one. i actually did, but the bid fell through as there was some problems with the sellers paypal..

4. Panther

Panther

Warwick's have a pretty sad resale value too...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jordan

Jordan

That's because everybody wants the older, better wenge / brass adjustanut instead of the newer ovangkol graphite nut.

It may not seem like a big deal to Warwick, but it sure as hell is a big deal to the buyers. I can maybe understand that the graphite nut is more durable... but good grief, the wenge sounded better, and everyone wants it...

Pedulla Buzz bass.. Mmmmmmmmmmmm..

Jordan

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    The Pentabuzz is by far the best sounding bass I have ever played but they seem to hold their value a bit more than the non-MIA Rapture.

A beautiful mint Rapture recently went on eBay in Canada with a $999USD reserve and didn't sell. I was close to pulling the trigger but luckily forgot to bid.

8. Jagdmusik

Jagdmusik

"Non-MIA Rapture"? What's that about? To my knowledge the Raptures are MIA.

Also, the Buzz is a bit beyond the price range most people will seriously consider. It's got a great reputation, but it's still mostly confined to studio use.

A Pentabuzz was my very first GAS target. Never could justify the funds, though.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

non-MIA! LMAO

If you guys think Pedullas lose a lot of resale value, you should buy a custom Alembic new and resell it!

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Thats almost enough to put me off them...luckily, I can play a Buzz bass without having to think of that dire band :p

11. Liko

Liko

Pentabuzz. Not sure I'd trust any bass with "buzz" in the name, seeing as how Pedulla sets their action so low anyway. :bag::D

Round here the used Pedullas GC flips generally fetch anywhere from $1400-$2400 depending on model and condition. There's a black/white pearl Rapture at a nearby GC for $1800 I believe, if not more. Of course, it's been sitting there for at least 6 months while almost every other bass in there when I first saw it has since sold, so GC's probably being far too optimistic.

12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I have thought that putting "buzz" in the name for a bass was a bad idea as well. Like naming a car the "Fourlemon" :)

13. JazzyLambert

JazzyLambert

If you buy a Pedulla, be prepared to hold on to it, coz you can't easily sell them for what they are worth.

14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Exactly. Take a look on ebay, or in the For Sale section on this site. Pick any mid-high end manufacturer. You'll find them all selling for around half of what the original owner paid for it.

15. jazzgeek79

jazzgeek79

So then buy a high end bass......USED!

16. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

the newer (late 90's on) sure do take a beating. Try to find a good pre-95 Streamer or Dolphin for a deal.

17. tmax

tmax

EVERY boutique bass loses re-sale value.
    EVERY BASS loses re-sale value!!!!!
    Learn from me.........KEEP THEM!

I've had THREE great Pedullas......Where are they now????:scowl:

18. davec

davec

Disclosures:
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses

19. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Chris Wolstenholme used pedulla basses for a long time, he's probably the most popular pedulla user.

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Who?

Seriously, I have no idea who that is.

I'm pretty sure I saw Gene Simmons playing an MVP in a video once...I could be mistaken. Now that's a popular guy. Wolstenholme? Never heard of him.

Didn't Tim Landers used to play in the house band on some late-night talk show on network TV? He definitely was sporting a Pedulla.

21. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1