penchant for the strange

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tastychoice, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tastychoice

tastychoice

I love making strange sounds via pedals but I feel like I've hit a wall for experimentation. I guess I'm looking for suggestions for lesser known gems of the odd pedal variety. I currently use a hog, muff, trem, and sodameiser to get "out." I've owned od, dist, phasers, loopers, qtron, bassballs, etc... I strongly dislike chorus and flange though that moog unit is pretty cool. What have I missed, what am I looking for?

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Not unknown at all....but using the Faye Sing with an expression pedal can do some really cool stuff. I hate modulation, too....but that thing has me. Most things that have expression options are cool. Like, does your trem have an expression control for the rate and shape? If not, check out the Dr Sci Tremolessence (again, not unkown). Between that, the Faye Sing, and a SA Dual Expression Pedal, you'll be doing awesome stuff for a while.

A feedback looper might be a cool thing to look into (you said looper, not sure if you tried these guys). Some synth stuff like the EHX SuperEgo and delays with modulation built in like the DMB Lunar Echo are the two guys I'm about to try out. There's really no other way to describe the wrecked mode on the Lunar Echo other than strange. The Iron Ether Polytope can do some strange stuff, too. Again, I hate mods (especially chorus), but the Polytope can get sounds without the traditional chorus warbles that is pretty amazing.

4. waflman

waflman

I use the EHX Freeze and it's a lot of fun. It's a momentary delay, it will hold a note or sound as long as you want. the SuperEgo has this as well, but with a lot more other synth noises. It's cool to freeze a note and then start turning knobs on other pedals, you never know what will happen. I've also gotten some crazy noises out of an Ibanez CF-7, which is a chorus/flange (i know you dislike) but with a fast rate and "wack'd" mode can produce nutty ring modulator/tremolo style sounds

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastychoice

tastychoice

I've been thinking about getting a sequenced zvex pedal like the ooh Wah or the ring tone, probably more likely to get the ring tone. the hog does the whole freeze thing very well and I use this often, in fact instead of a momentary switch, you use the expression pedal so you can get super weird. The tremolo I use is the love pedal baby face, I keep it choppy and the knob is big enough to tweak with my foot. Great pedal. I'll check some of those suggestions out, thanks!

7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

If you get a Ring Tone, make sure to get the newer tap tempo version, and snag a used one. That'll save you a good $100.

The sequenced section sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. It is just something you gotta hear. The step mode let's you move one by one through different set frequencies, which is more useable. However, if you want weird, this thing's got it.

(But I would recommend a MuRF before the Ring Tone for strange sounds.)

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    A Randy's Revenge might be one to look at, too, for the ring modness.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

I've had the same thoughts. Try a Copilot FX pedal...the Gyroscope is cool and so is the Cubic; others seem pretty cool. I'll second the Dr. Scientist The Tremolessence with an expression pedal. A ring mod, a pitch shifter...I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

10. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

11. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Red Panda Particle has to be one of the weirder effects I've tried in recent memory. Also the Lastgasp Art Laboratories Super Oscillo Fuzz I just traded away is among the crazier fuzzes I know of.

12. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

EH Ring Thing. Can't say enough good things about the pedal, it's my main "weirdness" pedal and i only like to play "out".

I've had the Moog, Zvex (yes, the TT version), other EH ring mods and the Ring Thing is by far my favorite. It can do all kinds of ring mod, pitch-shifting, vibe and anything in-between. Cheaper than the Randy's Revenge too with a ton more features.

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

earthquaker devices rainbow machine, loud button ***

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

How could I forget...

...two words: Snazzy FX Tracer City.

15. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

More:

1. Boss PS-3, which, of course, has a versatile pitch shifter when used with an expression pedal, and a decent delay (although both sound tinny and inorganic, and lose some bass, but you can use the blend knob, or, better yet, a parallel looper with a bass-heavy channel so you can run the PS-3 100% wet).

1.2. The PS-3 also has three modes that do something very strange. It's hard to explain, and I don't know what it's called, but it's unique to the PS-3 (unless the PS-5 etc can do it). Modes 4, 5, and 6 are what I am talking about. If clips are not on YouTube, let me know and I will throw some up, or have the OP PM me with an email address (easier for me). Anyone else know what I am talking about?

If pedal combinations count, I have a couple clips that are nuts.

16. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I've found some weird sounds by combining a B:Assmaster with both the MXR BEF and EHX Q-Tron +.

17. tastychoice

tastychoice

Combos are welcome indeed. Some of the sounds I get with a hog-carbon copy-green muff are totally nuts. I strongly suggest investing in the eh hog. it takes up allot of space but it is incredibly useful and versatile.

18. tastychoice

tastychoice

19. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Crowther Prunes & Custard and an Earthquaker Rainbow Machine will give you something to go wild with

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Prunes and Custard is kind of a fuzz with modulation keeping lows, does good things into envelope filter.

Heliotrope is a way freaky ring thing.

21. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Someone has to mention Source Audio. Their multiwave bass distortion is brilliant.