1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pentabuzz vs Rob Allen MB2: Seattle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marial, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking about making a switch, and there is currently a nice MB2 fiver for sale in the classifieds. I definitely dig my Pentabuzz but I'm not sure if it's really 'my' sound. The problem is, I've never played an MB2 so I'm not certain if one is what I'm really looking for.

So.... is there anyone in the Seattle area who has an MB2 who would be willing to let me noodle on his or hers for about fifteen minutes? I'd be happy to bring my Pedulla as collateral. ;)

Thanks!

2. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

I have a Buzz and also a Rob Allen Mouse which sounds quite similar to an MB2. I view this instruments as essentially on opposite ends of the high end fretless continuum. As you know the Pedulla has punch, growl that the Rob Allen will not have including the MB2 with the higher string tension and of course the Pedulla has a amazing sustain-perhaps like no other bass. Like Pedulla Rob Allen is a master craftsmen and his instruments scream mastery. In a strange way I find my Mouse more versatile. I use it almost exclusively in my church folk group and acoustic oriented Celtic band. The Rob Allen also gets high marks in the roots/American rock Jam that I am a part of as it it can pull off P like thump as well as amazingly close upright sounds based on some eq but mostly plucking position and style. In another band the mouse is what is desired for a vintage McCartney sound. So this small work of art Koa bass with nothing but a volume control is the winner in terms of versatility. I do still have love my Pedulla, particularly when soloing. Good Luck with you quest.

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Completely different beasts.

Somebody asked about the Mouse, dug up this old recording of one of mine. Pretty typical vibe.

http://nostatic.com/mp3/mouse.mp3

I've gone through a lot of basses over the past few years. Two stay - Rob Allen Deep 4 fretless and Fodera YYD.

4. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

Yes, they are definitely different beasts, for sure. I think, for my purposes and the tone I'm going for I think an MB2 might be perfect. I still need to play one, though, before I commit to selling my Pentabuzz.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^This

For years I was a Pedulla Buzz fan, ever since first playing one in the very early 80s. Swore to myself up & down that some day I would own a Pedulla Buzz Bass

...until I first played a Rob Allen MB-2. My world flipped around 180° and suddenly I had to have that sound in my arsenal.

Well, I got a gorgeous MB-2 in 2007, and I love the hell out of it, it's an incredibly versatile instrument that sounds perfect for so many different styles and genres...and yet I think owning a Rob Allen makes me jones for a Pedulla Buzz even more now. Because they are so opposite one another in terms of sound.