people throwing rubbish from their cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

every sunday morning i go out for a pushy bike ride.....i am ashamed with all the rubbish i see thrown from cars along the side of the road....smashed bottles, why do people smash bottles along the side of roads?? large bags of left over mcdonalds and pizza boxes litter the side of main roads, it just amazes me why these pigs have to do this
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Littering in general annoys me, particularly because it almost always seems to be within a few steps of a bin.
  3. Simo98

Simo98

Drive over the border to SA and it's a completely different story, pretty much entirely due to the bottle recycling incentive. It's amazing how much difference it makes, why the rest of the country hasn't adopted the same system is a question that's baffled me for quite some time.
  4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    I think littering speaks volumes about the people who do it. It's something I detest and it actually got me into a serious fight on one occasion, with subsequent police involvement.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    What really gets me is pulling into a parking space at a store and seeing that someone's cleaned out there car and dropped all the trash in the parking lot.
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

Back in the 70's we had a huge anti littering campaign in the States. Unfortunately, it seems as though we could use it again.
  8. pica

pica

Because people are to f***in lazy to find a trash bin.
  9. duff beer

duff beer

Smokers...the world is my ashtray.
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

This plus 1000. I remember marveling at a local bus station where trash was laying all about within two feet of a goodly number of large trash cans (like they were playing basketball) , as if the people had just thrown trash at the cans and didn't bother to pick it up when they missed. And as just as obvious, those who didn't even try at all to put anything in the cans which were placed about one every ten feet.
    Simply and amazingly lazy. And that is quite the crticism coming from me if you knew me at all. (You should see my apartment)
  11. CauliColin

CauliColin

We live quite far away from a town, to the point when it is as far away from macdonalds as it takes to eat a meal. McDonalds wrappers and other things too. I even saw a Tony Christie CD there. And a Sky+ box too.
  12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes.

Through the mid '70s, littering was far, far worse. That campaign to stop littering really seems to have changed the culture.

But it does look, at least to me anecdotally, that there is some slipping the last 10 years or so.
  13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Come to Milwaukee and say that. Whole large bags from McDonalds/Burger King, etc, cans, bottles, people dumping ashtrays out their window when they're at a stop light, used diapers on the ground at parking lots- it's incredible and, considering the high unemployment here, you'd think people have the time to pick up two pieces of trash. If they all did that, the place would be immaculate.
  14. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

15. lustersilk

lustersilk

People who litter are scumbags, including smokers who through there butts on the ground. This is coming from an occasional smoker, no excuse whatsoever.
  16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Sorry, just for clarification, not meant as a political diversion, just a completely different perspective on the problem of litter.

If I really wanted to derail, I'd be asking bill about his scuffle :)
  18. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

It's still big in Texas. Lady Bird Johnson made sure of that. Not saying we don't have litter but we definitely have some of the better I've seen in my travels. It's ridiculous that some people, just plain out, don't care about anything. I figure the logic is simple; don't trash up your own, and everyone else's, home.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

There are always larger things, I get the perspective part but there will always be something worse in the grander scheme. It's the pointlessness where lazy people just casually drop it, peeves and all that.

My folks have some pictures from ~1979 when they were living in Glasgow and the rubbish was piled on the streets during the extended strikes of the time, absolutely massive rats too.
  20. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Indeed. Big black James Herbert style things.
  21. electracoyote

electracoyote

I agree, it speaks volumes about the person who would litter.

BTW, what's a "pushy" bike ride, for us Yanks?