People using my amp in a shared rehearsal place

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fercorellia, Jan 9, 2013.

1. fercorellia

fercorellia

Hello everybody.

I’m sharing a rehearsal place with other bands and I’m having some problems because of that. The other bassists have been using my Ampeg svt cl. + Ampeg “fridge” and, after changing some tubes (I had to pay them), I buy a hard case for my SVT with a padlock. But any time I have to use it, I have to get it out of the case and put it on the top of the fridge (30 kg, remember). I’m a little bit tired of that, you can imagine.
    So, I’m pretty sure that somebody has had this same problem and can tell me some good advice to come across with that situation.
    Thanks!
  2. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I've removed fuses and put an out of order sign on my amps in shared spaces before. People usually stop trying when it won't turn on.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    GK MB200/500 micro head that you can pack out with you.
  4. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Nice;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    That's the problem, you either have to lock it up or take it home after every rehearsal OR find another place for your band only.
  7. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

I called the other people that share the room and asked them not to use my gear. So far, no problem.
  8. nubs

nubs

i did the same thing in the past myself, remove the fuse.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski

^^^ Far and away the best solution, simple and elegant.

Keep your settings written down somewhere. Anyone who's going to "try" your amp is going to twiddle the knobs.
  10. Foz

Foz

take a phone pic of the settings

hide a game cam to identify unauthorized users
  11. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I would never leave -anything- I cared about in a shared rehearsal space.
  12. Shardik

Shardik

I am not using a shared rehearsal space, but if I did, I'd get a lightweight head, like the Orange Tiny Terror Bass, and then have a small cab at home, using the amp head in both places. And, btw, I'd take with me the cables, too.

But I think the fuse idea is great.
  13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

+1000 ... nuff said
  14. tdub0199

tdub0199

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Note to self...bring fuse to next rehearsal. Hahaha :)
  16. mp40smg

mp40smg

if it gets bumped into and falls on to the floor causing serious damage, who will pay for it, besides you? Or, when it's used a drink stand and beer (whatever) gets all inside and fries it, who is going to pay for that?

The best suggestion is to make sure nothing of value is ever left out of your control.
    As suggested above, remove it from the situation and get some portable to take back and forth.

a practice should be a practice. It's great to have nice gear. But generally all this means is that every body is a lot louder than they need to or should be, and gets all sorts of concerned/ sidetracked about "dialing in" that perfect sound.
  17. aqstyp85

aqstyp85

Hey!
    First I took out the fuse, but the crazy guy who used my amp put a short screw into the fuseholder :mad:
    After that I replaced the xlr connector of the cabinet by a speakon socket knowing the guy won`t /can`t buy a speakon speaker cable-and took it with me after the rehearsal.
    Meanwhile we`ve got a practice room on our own-and the equipment standing there is insured-that let`s me sleep much better!
    regards michael
  18. srxplayer

srxplayer

Nothing good comes out of that situation. The truth is... Nobody cares about your gear like you do.

When I was playing at church a lot I used to keep an amp at the church. At one time we had other churches using the facility to practice and hold music events and services and for a while we also shared the facility with another church. You would think that if you were okay with letting them use the gear to practice they would show a little respect and be nice to your gear. No chance. I have had people blow the tweeter out of my combo amp, damage the tolex when they used it at a different venue without my permission, left in on all weekend, etc.

You have an expensive rig. I would pull it out of there and pack a light weight rig in for rehearsals.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

We share rehearsal spcae woth another band, and I gotta say it depends... One time I had some major dings in the bass I left there, like someone dropped a tube amp on it, just with hard edges. I was like ***, and of course no one seemed to remember lol.

And I found ashtrays and beer bottles on top of my amp once. Not cool.

But, old band moved out, new band moved in, never had problems again. So I say it depends, it surely helps if you can pick the band you want to share with and have some cell numbers in case you need to give them a call.

If I had to share a room with people I didn't know I'd buy a lock too though...
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^^This. Absolutely. :eyebrow:

I have learned an absolutely unchangeable, non-debatable truth: the more people who touch a device, the sooner it will get broken.
  21. johnpbass

johnpbass

+1.
    With all the great microamps out there, there has to be one that would sound good enough to you to use for practices.