People who always inquire about the cost of something you bought?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 27, 2012.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

What's up with these people? If you buy a new vehicle or amp or shirt or toothbrush, they always have to ask, "What did that cost ya?" What's it matter? I find it annoying as all hell. My guitarist does this.

I'll only ask what someone paid for something if it piques my interest and I genuinely may like to purchase the product myself. And I always make it known that I'm legimitately interested in its price and I'm not just being nosey.

Thoughts?
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I dunno, maybe they are trying to make conversation? If you show something new to them you bought, then by all means, you are welcoming the question. If not, then I get the annoying part.
  3. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I agree, that really annoys me. It seemed like it happened all the time when I was in college; much less now that I'm older and out in the working world, but there are still a few people I encounter who do that all the time.

There's a polite way to ask, if you genuinely don't know and are curious: "Do you mind if I ask what you paid for that?" But some people just do it in a very blunt way, and with an implicit insult, like I paid too much for it.
  4. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Well, it kind of depends what the item is, IMHO. If it's a custom bass, and the person has no idea what a custom bass costs, then yes they may just be curious. But if it's a 2-year old Lexus, come on, you can find out what that costs. You're just looking for an opportunity to tell me you could have got a better deal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I agree Jim, it's mostly said with a prejudgment in mind. Their price.
  7. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

It is a little annoying for me too....I usually get the vibe that they're feeling me out, to see how much money I'm willing to spend on buying stuff. I usually get a phone call within a couple days from the same person asking

"Say, you don't have three dollars and fifty cents on you, do you?"
  8. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

I don't really care for it either, unless someone wants to get something similar and is trying to judge whether they can afford it or not. It's a little bit like someone asking how much you make at your job. I remember getting into a conversation about east coast vs west coast social practices and out east it's about what do you for a living and what you make whereas on the west coast (excluding LA and maybe other parts of California) it's more about what you do outside of work. I find questions around money to be particularly rude in a social setting.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

it depends on the situation. if another bass player asks me what I payed for one of my basses then it doesn't bother me. but i'm sure other things may bother me.
  10. line6man

line6man

It depends entirely on context. That being said, it's usually rather simple to determine what sort of motive a person has for asking. There is a difference between inquiring about the cost of an item, and inquiring about the price someone has paid for an item.
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

That's very interesting. I'm an East Coaster, and that stereotype does seem to hold true now that I think about it. I still remember anytime that I've been in the South, my North Easterness always really shows. :D ...but we already recently had a thread about that a month or so ago.
  12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Perhaps, but I'm talking about the times that you generally don't do such a thing - like you show up someplace with a new vehicle and don't draw attention to it, but people notice that you have a new car.

I grew up in a lower-class working family and showing off wealth, so to speak, is something I've always kind of found tacky. I wouldn't do well as Donald Trump having a gold plated toilet and what not. :D Generally, if I draw attention to a new possession, it's usually because I really dig the utility of it and think someone else may dig it on that level as well - not because I want to show off. I'm just not a real materialistic person (with the exception of bass gear :D).
  13. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Yes I know people like that too. I also find it annoying.

"A fool knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Duane Gonzales
  14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I don't mind it much, I only get asked those questions when it comes to instruments and booze so it's generally a normal part of the conversation IMO.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I just figure those people are looking for a conversation starter and are really poor at communicating, so thats all they got. Ive never minded much, its not like I have anything worth much money anyways.
  16. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Most people don't know much to scotch or basses, so their inquiry seem like genuine interest. Sure, it's not ideal but I wouldn't go as far as saying they are really poor at communicating. Characteristics of basses or scotches are often linked to their price, so it's kind of part of the general description and comparisons if it comes on topic, imo.
  17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I wasnt talking in regards to basses or scotch, per se, just more in a general sense.
    If you show up with a new car, people are going to have questions, and the cost is likely to be one of them.
    I think the same would go for moving into a new apartment "oh, what do you pay for rent?", or any other thing that cost a lot of money. People are generally curious. Now, someone who is a better communicator is likely to ask more empathetic questions, like "why did you choose this bass/scotch/car/apartment?"
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Eh, I don't think it's a big deal. My buds and I are always inquiring about how much someone else has paid for a piece of gear. We're just trying to figure out going rates for things on the used market.
  19. blastoff99

blastoff99

It depends on the context and the person asking. If the item they're asking about bridges a common interest, I don't mind so much. If it's a random person asking about a random purchase, I don't like it at all. I'll just say, "I'm a pretty good shopper. I did well on this one." ANY pushing from there gets a fairly sharp "This is my personal business, and not yours" as a response.
  20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Ask; "Why? You planning on stealing it?!" (implying they want to know what to charge)

That shuts them up.

Yeah, there's that too. Some people are just wanting to know how much you "got suckered out of," so they can judge your gullibility appropriately and laugh at you for spending too much money. These folks tend to be the same ones that are proud of the fact that they paid $200 for their car and always have to work on it for an hour before they can go anywhere in it.

If a fellow musician wants to know how much a piece of equipment costs, I don't mind. They're probably considering getting one.
  21. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have always thought it was rude to ask how much someone paid for something.

I like to use the line,
    Wow, that's cool. Did you get a good deal on it?