1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

People who never answer their phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 8, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

There are certain people who will never answer their cell phone unless it is something important to them and/or they want something from me.
    I know they see I am calling but they always let it go to their voicemail and call me back when it is convient for them. I will answer unless I am having dinner or going to bed. If I don't take it and call them back later I will get their voicemail again. This can go on for days.
    It bugs me even though I know it shouldn't. It makes me feel like I am not very important unless they want something from me. It also seems a control issue. I pretty much have given up on calling those people and just text them. Maybe that is what they want anyway, that is unless they want something from me.
    My wife says I have issues and should let it go and I know she is right. Darn it, I hate when she is right. :mad:

2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Bingo

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't have a cell phone for everyone else's convenience, I have one for my own. I treat it, and inconveniently timed phone calls as such.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

I usually leave my phone turned off or at home because I don't like to be bothered by it. If I have it with me though and it's on and a call from someone in my contacts is showing, I always pick up. That's not most of the time, though. It's nothing personal against anyone. I just like my me time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my phone is a handheld computer first (didn't own a cell phone until Android & 3G hit the scene). I only answer if I feel like it.

7. slobake

I should know better than to come here for sympathy. :bawl:
    Some of you have confirmed what I believe. Some will never answer and call back when it is convient for them no matter what is going on. However if they want me to babysit their kid or borrow money boy howdy they answer right away.!

8. Bloodhammer

I bet they answer texts immediately, regardless of whether they're busy. :p

9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Maybe you're just not important.

10. Bloodhammer

And a weirdo to boot.

11. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

If they're calling me out of the blue it's probably because they want something right?

Only three people can count on me dropping what I'm doing to take their call. My wife, my mom and my boss.

Everybody else is probably going to voicemail.

12. Unrepresented

Media:
    This reads more like an issue with your "friendship" than with their use of their phone.:)

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Now that you mention it...

I've found since switching to an iphone I prefer texting because the phone sucks. It's a great little computer and it makes handling communications much easier as I don't have to jump to talk when the phone rings, and double so since the phone is such a weak POS.

I have created some little bit of a minor dilemma for me due to several of my stubborn friends who refuse to move up to a more text friendly phone and as a result they don't text. You gotta call 'em if you want to comm with 'em.

Hate to admit it, and had not even thought about it in that context, but the only time I call those folks these days is when I want something from them.

I carry on several lines of text off and on all day, but it's rare I talk to those folks.

14. slobake

You are correct of course, well they mostly reply quickly. I guess I am just a grumpy old 20th century dude.

ANSWER YOUR PHONE DAMMIT! is the new GET OF MY LAWN!

15. Unrepresented

Media:
    That's true. A one sentence response can fit into a busy schedule more efficiently than a phone conversation. Guilty as charged.

16. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
    Yes, I have a cell for emergency only. I hate phones since ever. Strange? Yes. But ok for me, don't change my life.

17. Bloodhammer

My very best friends only call or text when they want something. What's wrong with that? The way I reciprocate the mutual respect with my friends is to ignore their calls and not answer their texts. We're real tight like that.

18. slobake

One of my better qualities. :D

19. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Guilty as charged. I pretty much only pick up for my wife or one of my basketball buddies. Besides that I never answer the phone as I'm almost always in the middle of something...sadly I even send my grandmother to voicemail sometimes and forget to call her back. Then I feel so bad I'm too embarrassed to call and it goes on for days...yeah it's pretty terrible.

Also now that fhm has mentioned it, I haven't had a cell phone with good reception in at least 10 years. Maybe that's the way they're making them now...as phones are more and more for text, email and interwebbing and less and less about speaking. Talking on the phone is always a pain in the butt "What? I can't hear you. When? Screw it I'll text you later"

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm one of those people. As soon as the phone stops ringing, I text them asking what they want.

-Mike

21. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

There are only a few people whose calls I will answer, day or night. See the 'Friends' thread in the lobby.