$ per song...Let's hear some numbers and words of wisdom

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Luke Warm Water, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Luke Warm Water

Luke Warm Water Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to get into virtual session recording as a side profession. There are a lot of aspects to this and I'm beginning to explore each of them, but at the moment I wanted to see what opinions were regarding the going rates of session bass players.

Seems like $75 - $125/per song is about the mark (before taking in all of the many other factors like meetings, retakes, musical complexity, etc.), but I've heard very few opinions on this.

Anybody out there doing this? Or have contributing thoughts?

I'm just a sponge at the moment, given how new I am to this kind of endeavor. So, actually, any thoughts or experiences are welcome.

Thanks.
  2. freatles

freatles

Hehe, secrets huh? How about one of the organizations for recording musicians - get their statistics? What you got over there, ASCAAP, AMAIDONTEVENKNOW?
  3. Dave Martin

Dave Martin

Local 257 (the Nashville AFM local) has a scale for online sessions. http://nashvillemusicians.org/?pg=scales That can be a starting point, if you'd like. I typically charge a bit more than that, simply because I run a commercial studio - and that's where I do my work.