1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Percussion attachment for upright bass

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Larry6153, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Larry6153

Larry6153 Supporting Member

Does anyone out there know where I might find an attachment for the upper bout that would allow me to play a brush while playing the bass when we are not using a drummer?
    Here is a video of what I am looking for.

Thank you, Larry
  2. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Search for brush bass. There are a few threads here and some how to videos on YouTube.
  3. lorianb

lorianb

4. bejoyous

bejoyous

Looks like a great opportunity for a DIY project.

I made mine by carving a peanut- shaped car-washing sponge.

One end I flattened out a bit so it would friction hold under the fingerboard.

The other end I made a hollow in the foam then glued a circle of drumhead onto it.

I played it with a short knitting needle for a drumstick but I never tried the brush.

I got the idea from youtube somewhere. He put a small microphone into the spnge, too.
  5. bejoyous

bejoyous

I've used other percussion aids, too.

Wedge a shaker egg between the hair and wrapping of a German bow then play with rhythmic intensity. Good for Khlezmer and Middle Eastern music.

Hold the shaker egg in your hand and pizz. Lot's of possibilities with this.

Put a bit of rubber on a small egg shaker maraca and strike the strings with it like playing a tympani. Good for Latin music.

McGyver a small tambourine to your foot to play on beats 2 and 4. Good for Broadway, Pop, Gospel, etc.
  6. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

I've been thinking about velcroing small percussion to a bass bib or the edge of my drumhead attachment. I could probably get a snare + cymbal sound (after a ton of practice)
  7. Larry6153

Larry6153 Supporting Member

Thank guys for the info. I saw a good picture and explanation from a YouTube video that will help me built one.
    Larry