Percussion attachment for upright bass

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Larry6153, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Larry6153

Larry6153 Supporting Member

Does anyone out there know where I might find an attachment for the upper bout that would allow me to play a brush while playing the bass when we are not using a drummer?
    Here is a video of what I am looking for.

Thank you, Larry

2. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Search for brush bass. There are a few threads here and some how to videos on YouTube.

3. lorianb

lorianb

4. bejoyous

bejoyous

Looks like a great opportunity for a DIY project.

I made mine by carving a peanut- shaped car-washing sponge.

One end I flattened out a bit so it would friction hold under the fingerboard.

The other end I made a hollow in the foam then glued a circle of drumhead onto it.

I played it with a short knitting needle for a drumstick but I never tried the brush.

I got the idea from youtube somewhere. He put a small microphone into the spnge, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bejoyous

bejoyous

I've used other percussion aids, too.

Wedge a shaker egg between the hair and wrapping of a German bow then play with rhythmic intensity. Good for Khlezmer and Middle Eastern music.

Hold the shaker egg in your hand and pizz. Lot's of possibilities with this.

Put a bit of rubber on a small egg shaker maraca and strike the strings with it like playing a tympani. Good for Latin music.

McGyver a small tambourine to your foot to play on beats 2 and 4. Good for Broadway, Pop, Gospel, etc.

7. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

I've been thinking about velcroing small percussion to a bass bib or the edge of my drumhead attachment. I could probably get a snare + cymbal sound (after a ton of practice)

8. Larry6153

Larry6153 Supporting Member

Thank guys for the info. I saw a good picture and explanation from a YouTube video that will help me built one.
    Larry