1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Perfect P/J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a P pup is wired in parallel, and J pups are wired in series. So if one created a PJ and put a phase switch (a la S-1 series) on the P pup only, one could resonably recreate an accurate J sound with the P pup in series with the J at the bridge, yes?
  2. Systolic

Systolic

bump for me being interested in this as well
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

No, the mix is (P in series) x in parallel with (Jazz).

Since each P coil is only half a pickup you must keep it in series inside the P.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

on the fenders with the S1 switch, the standard p was switch from series to parallel and the jazz switch from parallel to series. the tonal effect on the p was less than stellar. it sucked out the low-mids and the volume dropped considerably. on the other hand, the j with the S1 switch was great. you had you standard jazz sound, and when put in series, you got the extra low-mids and volume you get from a p, with more articulation due to pickup placement. to answer your question, no, i dont think it would give an accurate j-bass tone. personally, the real "best-of-both-worlds" is a jazz bass with a series/parallel switch.
  5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

I had a P pickup wound non RW/RP so it would run in phase with a j pickup. It sounds wonderful.
  6. TrevorOfDoom

That's what I'm talking about!

Buuuut... does it sound like a beefier Jazz?
  7. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Where, how much, everything. I'm very interested. I just bought this squire and I'm going to change the pups, bridge and tuners out. So this really interests me.
  8. lowendmafia

No, it definitely sounds like a P. Sounds very similar to a standard P pickup I have of the same type. However the PJ is in a J body so it's a bit different position. I play it as "just a P" all the time.

Not sure how much as they were ordered in a custom build from Bluesman Vintage. The pickups are David Allen. He has a website and is a cool guy to deal with plus he makes killer pickups.
  9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

So- wouldn't that just be a 2-piece jazz pickup in the P position?
  10. lowendmafia

I mean, I guess you can say that, but a P is only RW/RP so the pickup is hum canceling. The directions of the wind really doesn't affect the sound that much.
  11. Davo-London

Davo-London

Ignorance is Strength

Quote from 1984

Do we have any circuit diagrams that would help? I'm a tad lost!

Davo
  12. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

What is "RW/RP"?

As an aside, the Perfect P/J, to me, is the G&L SB-2 with a Master Volume and Tone added...
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

IIRC, Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity.
  14. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Excuse me but having one half of the P pickup reverse magnetic polarity isn't done for sound reasons. It is done so that you can have hum canceling when combining with a Jazz pickup. Of course now it hums when only the P is on, unless you go literally out of phase and cancel a good chunk of the A and D string's induction.

With identical reverse polarity on both halves of the P pickups You can still combine the three coils any way you like in any combination of in-series or parallel, which then dictates how it sounds.
  15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

'Captain Obvious' chiming in. ;) I have never heard a split-P pickup that sounds like a jazz pickup. The precision pickup that most resembles a jazz pickup sound would be the single coil precision, but they still sound different to me. My "perfect P/J" is a Dingwall which allows series or parallel connection of the pickups (or solo either) through the four-position rotary selector switch:

[​IMG]
  16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

So, why would you need to do this in a PJ? Why not just reverse the leads from the J pickup when wiring it into its pot?
  17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Normal split-coil P pickups have the coils wired in series, and RW/RP relative to each other to be hum-canceling. On P-basses, Fender's S-1 switch activated parallel wiring, which thinned out the sound, and moved it closer to J-bass territory. (I used to have one, and never used the S-1. Who wants to thin the tone of a P-bass?)

J-bass pickups are normally wired in parallel relative to each other, and RW/RP relative to each other, which is why they are hum-canceling when both are at the same volume. On those, the S-1 allowed the pickups to be wired in series, which fattened the tone and boosted output, making them sound a little more like a P-bass.

So, on a P/J, if you wired the split-coil in parallel, it should sound a little more like a J-bass with both pickups on, because the split-coil's tone will be thinned out. But, due to the split-coil's placement and different coil sizes, it still won't sound exactly like a J-bass. Also, unless you used a hum-canceling J pickup or had a NON RW/RP polarity split-coil with coils RW/RP relative to the J pickup (like lowendmafia), you'll have single coil hum with both pickups on.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

That makes sense to me.
    I thought i was on to something with the Series/parallel thing, but there had to be a reason everybody wasn't doing it.
    Thanks!!