1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Perfect Pitch.... in a pill?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LakeEffect, Jan 9, 2014.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I have no personal take on this, I am not versed in the science behind these things, but I wanted to throw it out there - have a look...

"Want Perfect Pitch? You Might Be Able To Pop A Pill For That: Hensch is studying a drug which might allow adults to learn perfect pitch by re-creating this critical period in brain development. Hensch says the drug, valprioc acid, allows the brain to absorb new information as easily as it did before age 7."

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/04/25955...prfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Brain plasticity restoration? Wow.
    That's some pretty hardcore science right there.
    That's great for learning everything you would learn when young too, like language. But, that's already stated.
    I somehow doubt that this stuff will be readily available for a while though. :meh:

3. LakeEffect

Yeah, its a pretty wild concept, definitely will be keeping an eye on any developments.

4. pfox14

pfox14

Yeah, and if pigs could fly....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

When they develop perfect tempo for drummers, I'll purchase some. :)

7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

All the attempts I ever made to rewire or melt my brain left me feeling really bad the next morning. Just saying.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Read closely, it doesn't give you perfect pitch, it just reopens pathways that aid in pitch recognition if you work on it. In talking with folks I know in music education at the university/conservatory level, they see a lot of students coming in with perfect pitch. But they have to do the same ear training work as the students who don't have PP when it comes to recognizing chord function, what harmony a melodic line is implying etc.
    It's like looking at a painting and being able to accurately describe the different primary colors that went into make up the blues, the reds, the browns, the whites, etc. But not being able to see that it's a painting of a sailboat.

9. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

:)

10. LakeEffect

This is exactly right, I think most people are reading the title of the post and commenting, nothing new here haha.

11. neurotictim

neurotictim

I heard about this on NPR the other day. Seems really, REALLY cool - not just for music, but other languages, new skills, and more importantly (IMO) as a tool to help people get BACK skills that they lost due to stroke/illness/etc.

EDIT: It IS something new, though - we've long known that learning is easier when you're younger. It's not a pill that creates perfect pitch, or some sort of "Babelfish in a pill" - it just restores your physiological ability to learn back to the way it was when you were very young.

IIRC, the piece on NPR said this was something that could be groundbreaking, but certainly won't be available for human consumption for looooong time. I wanna say they were *hoping* to develop it enough and make it safe enough for use in the next 50 or so years!

12. JFOC

JFOC

13. T-MOST

T-MOST

Two words... Snake oil!

14. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

It's not only the chemical receptivity of the brains of children that give them the capacity for rapid learning, it's also the fact that they have a LOT more neurons and probably some other physical attributes. The are soooo many extra neurons that get pared down when not being used. Once they are gone it's hard to get them back, or so I've read.:meh:

15. ficsci

ficsci

Interesting, I've actually been watching those TEDx neuroscience lectures about how your brain (yes, normal adult brains) are actually more malleable than we think. So maybe, with a right exercise, we can learn perfect pitch without a pill (?)