1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Perfection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Apr 14, 2014.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

So, basically, I would like the TBOT input on the following:
    How do you define it?
    Can it exist? (and explain)
    Are there any instances in the practical world in which it exists/can be observed?

Personally, I would say that perfection is subjective to he who beholds the phenomenon, and therefore perfection cannot be one unified idea, as everyone's view thereof is not unanimously consistent.

On the other hand, I have a friend who has argued the point that should a composer compose a piece of musical literature, if he feels an ensemble has performed it flawlessly (perfectly), then it is therefore perfect, as only the writer knows what the piece should truly sound like. Does this mean the performance was truly perfect, or was it only perfect by the composer's standards? Both or neither?

He also brought up the concept that outer space is perfectly silent due to the lack of air. However, upon further research, I believe this is false because there are particles, although few and far between, that can oscillate and produce sound. These tiny vibrations/compressions would never be picked up by the human ear. Regardless of whether or not we can perceive it, the sound exists, and therefore, perfect silence does not. Similar concepts apply to the deaf, as perception (or more specifically, lack thereof) does not equal true silence.

Note: I am not aiming to bring about a debate on perfectionism, and how it relates to us as humans, but simply am trying to understand the means by which others define and view perfection in a practical sense.

Is this dumb and pointless? Maybe, but that's the fun of TBOT, right?

2. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

Perfection IS in the eye/ear/mind of the beholder. However, can it be argued that perfection requires imperfection to exist? Example, nature; we can identify things in nature that are imperfect by our standards, but nature is perfection in action.
    Just my .02

By the way, what is TBOT?

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

TBOT-TalkBass Off Topic section

4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I suppose there is objectivity in a mechanical sense. Every part has to be made to exact specs to work together as a whole. The narrower the tolerance for error, the closer to perfection.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

I hate it when band mates accuse me of being a "perfectionist." I think it's nothing more than a giant cop-out on their part.

I am an idealist. An ideal is much easier to obtain than perfection. An ideal takes into account that nothing is perfect, or remains perfect for very long. An ideal can be achieved, and with effort, maintained.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I agree that as the margin of error approaches +/-0, you approach perfection in a sense that there is no room for flaw. However, I am not certain this is possible...

8. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

IMHO, Perfection in the pursuit that brought most of us to this silly neighborhood is exemplified in what Mutt Lange and Mike Shipley did for Shania Twain.

This assumes you're in favor of making lots of money for yourself and others.

Otherwise, I'd wager you'd shun public exposure in any form.

...and be... um... not here...

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Mmmmm....Major league baseball bases are 90 feet apart. 89' would be too close and 91' would be too far. 90' is true perfection.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Is there a difference between "accuracy" and "perfection?"

11. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

"Perfection" is an alternate spelling of "D-a-r-t-h".

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Perfection exists in finding the purity in imperfection. We are all flawed, and as such, are perfect. Musical perfection comes in playing a performance that comes from your heart, and is expressed honestly. When another soul perceives that expression, it is a perfect expression. Musical perfection does not come in some mathematical formula. To play exactly on the beat, and on the pitch, in a measured way would be robotic, or mechanical. The true perfection in music exists ONLY in imperfection, and as such, is a paradox.

Enjoy your paradox. They are usually quite lovely.

13. Unrepresented

My perfection has a second name
    It's M-A-Y-E-R.

14. edpal

edpal Banned

Specs are rarely absolute or exact (since the measurements are only as good as the devices used for measuring), usually a given range. I.e. +/- .001". From a functional standpoint mechanical perfection would usually be all interacting parts at the center of the tolerance range. If one part is at the high end of the spec and it's interacting mate at the low end, mechanical perfection per the design will generally not be achieved. YMMV

Two criteria I use for "relative perfection"....that practical sense.
    1.Does it do/fill the intended purpose extremely well.
    2.Is it unlikely or impractical to seek/find further improvement.

My wife is relatively perfect but she is not perfection.
    Most basses are relatively perfect but none are perfection.

"Perfection" is a presumptive position, based on the idea that something could not be better.

15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Nothing in the material world reaches perfection. As soon as we are born, or a machine is built, oxidation begins and death is immanent.
    Possibly there is perfection outside of matter- but since we are stuck within a material universe, we are unable to obtain that knowledge.

16. Unrepresented

How do we know oxidization isn't perfection?

17. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

You have been around here long enought to know better than that.
    We will have a perfect debate. You are right it should be fun.

18. Milk

Milk

I am 100% certain I posted in this thread this morning. Hmm...maybe it never got through. I guess its too much to expect perfection from TB or the internet.

19. edpal

edpal Banned

Because RUST never sleeps and you can't have a perfect life without sleep. :cool: *Those are sleep shades.

20. Unrepresented

How do we know that tweakers aren't perfection?

21. bassinplace

bassinplace