1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Permission to post denied?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Issues' started by nukes_da_bass, Mar 2, 2014.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

To whom it may concern,
    I use the DROID app 99% of the time- once every few days, I experience the following message: "you do not have permission to post in this thread".
    I'm pretty Ok with the rules more or less, but who gets to decide whether I get to post in a certain thread? Can an OP block me from posting in their thread?
    Im.simply trying to understand why I'm being blocked and by whom.
    I know I don't have any civil liberties in TB so I ain't trying to "fight the power".
    Sincerely,
    Nukes

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

So I'm guessing that once the OP of a thread blocks me, I no longer have permission to post in their thread.
    Based on my massive popularity with the mods, I no longer make or imply political statements. I do not wish to be banned.
    I just wish someone would explain the phrase "you do not have permission to access this thread" as it pertains to who is blocking me, or whether it's a bug on the DROID app.

3. edpal

edpal Banned

That is weird...I would hope it is a bug in your app. An ignore list is fine but blocking someone from posting in a thread seems a bit draconian.

I just went looking through all the account setting, there was nothing that indicated a feature like that. So I'm back to bug.

?Is it possible that someone on our ignore list is automatically blocked from threads we start?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

posters can't block other posters from posting in their thread. You may be trying to post in a forum you don't have permission to post in, like one of the sponsored sales forums, for example.
    If you have an example, post the url here and we can look

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Today- March 19th- two post attempts in "off topic" gave message "you do not have permission to access this thread".
    First thread was about most influential person in the 20th century.
    Latest thread was something about "coolest riffs".
    Pretty arbitrary I would appreciate if my permissions weren't denied for random threads in a subforum I usually can post in just fine.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Definitely a bug- just went to try and post again in "best riff in a song" and this time it went through...

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

my _guess_ is that the post operation times out for some reason (e.g. network performance) and the app is interpreting any failure as 'bad permissions' - probably just as a default because - what else could go wrong ? (This last is a typical midlevel programmer assumption - I encounter them all the time...)

So either the real error condition is not available, or is being interpreted wrong. The fact that it succeeds on retry is a clue that it is a transitory condition. (It could also be a clue of something else - it's hardly definitive...)

9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Art that sounds plausible- it's a bad error message generated by an upload timeout to the server or something similar.
    The hack is, wait at least 15 min then post "test" to see if I can get something posted then edit the test post. So far so good!