1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PERPLEXED! What should I do with my Fender Jazz MIM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Feb 17, 2013.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

Just traded for this bass (I gave him MIM P deluxe, he gave me a '08 white MIM Jazz + cash). Just took the Jazz to my tech & he told me the neck is not in great shape (has a li'l bow to it). He's going to do his best with it, but says it'll probably never be perfect (and he really knows his stuff, been doing tech work forever & I trust him completely).
    So, here's my conundrum. What should I do? I was thinking of giving this one a real 70's look (rosewood fingerboard with the white pearloid block inlays, tortoise shell pickguard, chrome bridge cover, vintage pickups, etc.).
    So, do I:
    1) look for a replacement neck? If I do that, do I wait til I find a Fender J neck on TB or eBay, or do I order one from Warmoth, etc.? Then do all the other mods to make it more like a 70's Jazz?
    or
    2) be patient, hold onto the MIM for awhile, save some cash up & sell MIM towards buying a "new" 70's Jazz (I do love the look of the sunburst one in particular)? Are the new 70's Jazz basses worth the extra wait & money?
    or
    3) other suggestion from a TB'er?
    So TB'ers, give me your thoughts please.
  2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

See what your tech can do, if you don 't like it get an AllParts replacement.
  3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i would think you might want to just replace the neck, if you think you might have a playable bass. i think it might be hard to sell with a bum neck anyhow.

i've not played the 70's jazz, but if your hankerin' is that bad, then i think you have to bite the bullet and go for it.

i think it is also important to consider the cost of modding the old jazz with the cost of a "new" 70's jazz. (i don't know what all needs to be done.....)

good luck, sir!
  4. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Try to have it repaired, if it's a 2 piece neck souldn't be to much trouble, if not, get warmont or USA custom neck, I have a usa neck on my 75 Jazz and love it! An Allparts neck it one piece and you'll just endup with the same crap you get from fender
  5. monkeybass68

Thanks guys, I will definitely take your advice into consideration!
  6. monkeybass68

Your words struck a chord with me. I am "hankerin'" for the 70's Jazz. I used to have a '73 P with the same color sunburst that I absolutely LOVE & the sunburst J would look & sound great for the Black Crowes tunes I'll be playing!
    I'm sure my tech can do a decent enough job of fixing the neck so that I can sell it. Although I'd inform any perspective buyer what was done & why. That'll probably cost me a few bucks, but I don't believe in ripping people off - especially fellow bassists.
    When I get it back from the tech, I'll use it til I save up enough cash to get the 70's; although that may take some time since I'm taking the wife & kid to Disney in a couple months :)
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Don't spend money making it into something it isn't. If that neck is wonky and it is not a block neck already, then buy a replacement block neck from Allparts. They make the closest block and binding neck I've seen.
  8. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Is it possible to get a real replacement neck from Fender with the headstock logo too?

On the used market, Fender instruments with aftermarket necks don't seem to sell all that well...
  9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I have a 9 week old MIM with the same issue. Its having the neck replaced under warranty.....but I decided to upgrade and bought a Warmoth and a badass bridge.
  10. monkeybass68

Well, after a few days thinking on this, and taking input from u guys into account, I've decided to sell the '08 Jazz (after my tech does his best with it) & then buy the 70's re-issue. I realized that the cost of modding the '08 to get the vintage look AND buying a new neck isn't worth the effort. After I sell the '08 and a couple other odds and ends, I should be able to get the 70's J fairly soon.
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!
  11. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

cool, let us know when you score that 70's jazz and how it sounds!
  12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

You dont have to spend so much if you dont want. I wouldn't on a MIM. Mighty Mite neck for $100 and call it a day.
  13. monkeybass68

Quick update, sold the white Jazz locally, sold a few other odds & ends, just ordered the 70's Jazz tonight!
  14. Bobster

Bobster

monkeybass68,

Keep an eye on the 70's Jazz neck. I have owned and seen a couple with less stable necks. If you find that to be the case with yours (and hopefully you won't) get it assessed and the neck replaced under warranty.

Fender instruments have a lifetime warranty for the original owner. http://support.fender.com/warranty/..._ELECTRIC_INSTRUMENT_WARRANTY_9-2001_revC.pdf

BTW, the neck on the 70's Jazz feels great.

All the best,

Bob
  15. monkeybass68

Thanks for the advice Bob, it is most definitely appreciated. I will keep an eye out on the neck.
  16. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

His bass in great shape is a $350 bass. Folks are suggesting $300 necks for it. I don't think resale value should be a huge concern....
  17. Wallace320

Wallace320

And, women and children first, go for MIM Classic '70s Jazz

Bullet trussrod and a neck (with rosewood fingerboard in maple place) the closest to the MIJ Geddy Lee you can get;)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  18. monkeybass68

:D