1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

persistence, picking and right hand muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jbassrockboy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

I got to a stage where I am happy with my pick fluency in the sense it is coming along,,,,

But, tone and controlling every little nuance has at times been frustrating...

I finally figured out through persistent practice with head phones and using my bass guitar straight into a di box that a lot of my tone issues were with uncontrolled overtones....headphones pick up everything....

My right hand could mute well on the e string but not so good on a and totally missing in action on d & g....

Until I realised that I needed to move my hand down or up across the strings so that the fleshy part that does the muting
    actually mutes.....oh der you may well say....but for me it has taken some time to not only figure it out but also learn how to apply it....

getting this one technique has literally transformed my playing as i can virtually play all the licks that I tirelessly go over and over with different degree;s of muting....

The other big thing I have noticed also is that all the effort in trying to mute with the left hand is less necessary and the left hand is freed up to move around a bit more....

Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there....

It was a post in TB which triggered me in the right direction and I went away and watched the Cody Wright clips....but even with that I couldn't work it out....until I understood that if I moved my strap height a bit higher, my hand position would change, and from then on...kaboom, the whole technique pretty well fell into place and now I can work it....

Weeks of soul searching but finally got there...It is uplifting when something finally comes onto place...

Rossa

2. Octaves

Octaves

Well done :). It's always good to have a break through.