Personal Monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sandman357, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sandman357

sandman357

2. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

My drummer has one and he likes it. It sounds good and seems to work for him. I considered one for me but I didn't want to put it on a stand and as a floor unit I thought it might get lost in the stage volume, so I picked up a pair of larger powered 12" 300W behringers instead. I needed to use those as mains for rehearsal as well.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Plenty of reviews in the link you provided.

FWIW, I've subbed a lot in an event band that uses the nicer TC Helicon personal monitors (VSM 300XTs) for the featured singers. At fairly moderate stage levels (think weddings and corporate events), they work well for two of the singers. But a third singer seems to always struggle with feedback.

The Helicons have 3 times the wattage of the Kustoms; but IME *useable* stage volume is the issue, and that's tied to the frequency response of the box. The peakier the sound of your monitors, the more likely feedback. If you play really quiet stages and don't need your vocal monitors to sound like money, I'd expect this sort of monitor will suit you. If you need to hear vocals cleanly over loud drums and guitars, I'd suspect you'll struggle with these.

4. derrico1

Two other considerations:

1. The footprint savings isn't great, as you'll want to put these on a stable stand. I also believe the model you're looking at doesn't allow you to attach a vocal boom to the top of the monitor, so you'll need to find room for a second stand at your mic position.

2. If you bounce around a lot on stage, knocking these over is a real possibility.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

another opinion is the Rolls PM351 personal monitor amp

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Our classic country band doesn't play too loudly and I get by with a Behringer B205D at chest level on a round base mic stand off to stage left just a bit. Plenty loud, can't say much about tone other than I don't care, I just need to hear my vocals. Even better was that I bought it used (but like new!) for $80. Prior to this I was using a Behringer B212a on the floor.

8. derrico1

+1. I keep a Rolls 351 in my bag JIC, and for any but the quietest stages I much prefer it (or any half decent in-ears rig) to Hot-Spot style monitors.

9. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Carvin has a great deal going on spot monitors that are getting great reviews. They are 2 for 119.00 with cables.

10. Baker69

Baker69

There are a few out there on the market - Behringer do a nice one with a built in MP3 player! Roland also do one as well. There is a Behringer one which is very similar to one that Mackie do but a fair bit cheaper.