Personal point of view: Bass realization from a newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tui, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Tui

Tui

Morning everyone, how are you?
    Yesterday I had my first bass class, and it was great! Matter of fact, I'm still amazed; I knew it was an important intrument within a band but boy! I had no idea how crucial it was!

Anyone watches football (soccer)? Well, IMO, the bass in a band is the central midfielder in a football field. The middleman, the intermediary between offense and defense; the one in charge of connecting both sections, hence allowing the game to flow. No matter what instrument you play you will always rely on the bass!

And that's why it's such an underestimated instrument by many; I don't think people will be able to understand its importance, the fundamental role of bass until they try it themselves and learn what hides between those notes.

Of course this is just my personal point of view!
  2. Blah114

Blah114 Supporting Member

it's as "forward" or "middleman" as you want it to be.. the same goes for anything. In Rush the bass is not "middleman.." but I suggest having no preconceptions about it. I've tired over the years of ppl saying "bass is hard.. " or "bass is easy.." when it just "is.." it's what you make of it.. for me, a bass player that is "off" collapses an entire band. A lot of bands have bassists that are not noticed until they make a mistake live.. the best bassists can blend well, sit in the pocket with a band. and play STANDING UP at at all times, and deal with variables (as Billy Sheehan has said)..

it's what you make of it, as with anything else. playing songs with "space" for me is extremely challenging.. I get as much out of AC DC's bassist as I do Geddy Lee lately.. I've come to appreciate songs vs bass playing. Paul McCartney is another extremely underrated bass player.. from a technical standpoint, he defies logic.
  3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Welcome!!
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Why?
  5. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I like the soccer analogy. I wanted to take it up when I heard a band at school and for some reason the basser quit playing......it was like all of the substance and spirit of the band left the room. I'm surprised how many non players I hear echo the same sentiments - for an instrument that's not "up front" a lot of people do appreciate its importance. Stay inspired!
  6. kcole4001

kcole4001

The role changes depending on the size and instrumentation of the band.

Good musicians understand the importance of every instrument.
    Those that don't are just instrument players in a band situation.
    Two different animals altogether, in my opinion.
  7. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

The bass is as important to a band as the foundation is to a house.
  8. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Nice observations, Tui! I second the Welcome.

Blah - You had me until there. And even after--some good points, but what's your beef with bassists that sit?

Frank De Wolf is a bassist. And I think one of "the best" I've heard on YouTube in a while. This from last August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RkiKDNl8w

That's no good for you?
  9. headband

headband Supporting Member

Welcome, and it sounds like you got a lot out of your first class. Bass is a great instrument with no limits!
  10. Blah114

Blah114 Supporting Member

what I mean is it's best to play like you're going to play LIVE.. a lot of guys.. and Sheehan said this many many many years ago, play too much sitting down.. then stand up later.. I guess really.. make sure the bass is in the same position standing as when sitting.. because if it's not, you'll have issues playing live. if that's your goal.. another motto is "practice like you play.." treat it as one and the same.. within reason.
  11. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Right, right! That's good advice. I'm getting reminded in the reverse these days--I have a sitting down theater gig (on electric), but I'm so used to practicing standing up. It's NOT the same.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

While a bass CAN be "up front" generally that's not the role. As noted, it's the foundation of the house. A guitarist or a singer has the job of projecting their personality and grabbing and holding the audience. A bass player has the job of grabbing and holding the band! In that regard the bass is an amazingly powerful instrument. By setting harmony you can make the guitarist do your will and by your groove you can do the same with the drummer. You and the drummer are in total control of what everyone's booty is doing on the dance floor. Real actual POWER.

So as a noob, we welcome you to the power of bass. There is so much to know and we all never stop learning. Join the fun!
  13. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Gotcha. Now I'm on board with your program! ;)
  14. txoutlawbassman

txoutlawbassman

Glad your getting in there and doing something with music! One piece of advice that i can give you is this. NEVER let anyone put any limits on what you can/should do. Play to fit the song and don't over play. But NEVER let any band you play with relegate you to the role of musical scenery. If you want to be a stand out player you have to be a player that stands out! I'm not telling you to act like a fool on stage or anything stupid by anymeans. Your playing should be what makes you stand out. I play professionally my band "Tequilla Mockingbyrd" ois a power trio. I play pretty unorthodox, but my style and my choice of bass " 8 string octave" are absolutely esential to our sound and dynamic. If you want to see a little different way of playing bass check out reverbnation.com in the search bar type in my band name. Be sure to spell it the way we do. Under the video section is a music video, and a couple of live videos. Check out our version of "Fat Bottom Girls" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Let me know what you think.
  15. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Lol, "yesterday I had my first bass". :D

Welcome to the dark side, have you tried our cookies? :bassist:
  16. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Welcome to the World of Low, and I like your analogy too, especially as a former center midfielder. One of my coaches used to compare the different positions to parts of a car, and the center midfielder was the engine in that analogy. I guess that's why they say that bass drives the band!
  17. tom once dead

tom once dead

Nice post OP!
    This exactly why I love the bass.
  18. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Yes… Bass: the rhythm instrument with infinite melodic potential :bassist::bassist::bassist: ;).