Pete McCullough of Streetlight Manifesto

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Progtastic, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Progtastic

Progtastic

I've been listening to Streetlight for months, and just recently noticed how great this guy is. I saw them live, and they sort of hid him behind the horn section, which was a shame, because he's great, and never missed a note.

I know he plays through an SVT Pro 3 into an Ampeg 8x10, I'm not sure of the exact model of his bass.

I love his tone and playing.

Here's an example of not only him, but his band (which is currently one of my favorites)

Attached Files:

2. Pirate11

Pirate11

They are tooooooooo good!
    Definitely a HELL of an influence!
  3. iamjustin

iamjustin

other than a 5 string german warwick $$ double buck i cant tell you much more
    he has changed a few times that i've seen them, but everytime it's been a warwick, except for this video

also if you want to see what he means that they put him in the back check out them live

also live the best song is everything went numb, the bassline is amazing
  4. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

hes incredible. needs more mid and more room in the mix, but with a 4 piece horn section, i imagine the mix isnt easy.

as far as the stage set up goes, i imagine with all that melody going on, he wants to be close to his drummer. and he just kinda fits back there. i still think its odd that lead vocals are always way to the side, but they are just that interesting of a band.

every time ive seen him it was a warwick.

the first time i saw them, their saxist was playing with some sort of infected tooth or something. STILL singing backing vocals and blowing the **** out of that horn. the next time, thomas is in a sling, STILL playing guitar. they are ruthless.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mynameisjack2

mynameisjack2

Easily one of my favorite bands and bassists out there. The whole band is fantastic at their respective instruments.
  7. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

sweet bass fill in here

8. iamjustin

iamjustin

we need more threads about pete mccullough and less about gene simmons
  9. JosephJavorsky

JosephJavorsky

I recently decided to learn A Better Place a Better Time. Made me realize just how intricate his parts are. Amazing bass player.
  10. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

haven't listened to them in some time but great band and bassist.
  11. iamjustin

iamjustin

the song is beautiful, the bass is perfect, timing and tone is right where it should be

not at all over done, i feel like that song is a great example of an amazing bass part that is pretty easy, but completly makes the song
  12. JosephJavorsky

JosephJavorsky

The beautiful thing is the subtle ways in which he changes the parts each time. I thought I had it figured out but with a few listens I noticed so much more to his parts.

He is probably tied for my favorite ska bass player with Matt Wong.
  13. 31-Hertz

31-Hertz

I love Pete. His basslines are so subtle, yet so perfect for the music. It's a shame he's always in the back. Him and Chris Thatcher make an excellent duo. Combined with Tomas and the horns, Streetlight makes one of the best bands out there today.
  14. iamjustin

iamjustin

when you think about their musicians are so extremly good at what they do
    like you said chris thatcher is amazing at drums
    their horn section is so clean, the new trombone player is just so good
    tomas is a good singer and better song writer
  15. Macavitty

Macavitty

I think Josh Ansley was their bassist back in That album.Pete has only been in the band since 99sor,or maybe somewhere in the between also.Both are awesome bassists
    Such great heights is my favorite line from Pete.
  16. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

pretty sure he was on SWitB. its much harder to keep track of their horn players. last one to change was the trombonist. i really liked the last one, but i have faith in thomas that he wouldnt put up with anyone that couldnt do the job
  17. iamjustin

iamjustin

yeah the old trombonist was amazing
    but this new one is extemly good, much better musicly
    but mike soprano was just a really cool person
  18. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

Streetlight is indeed awesome. But I tend to find that many ska bassists are very skilled. McCullough is definitely way up there at the top though. You might also want to check out Bill Uechi (formerly Save Ferris, currently with Starpool), and give a listen to Chase Long Beach.
  19. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Bring this thread back to life!

I saw Streetlight last night and met Pete on his way out. I saw that he was playing an MM Stealth and not the Warwick $$ so I asked him about it- He is being endorsed by MM and retired the $$. Really cool dude! Very happy to finally meet him after seeing them so many times in the last few years.
  20. iamjustin

iamjustin

pretty disappointed to see them on warped again, the short sets suck.
    but i do think they are a little closer to finally putting out some new songs.
  21. Billbop7

Billbop7

The reason why Pete is such a bad ass, is because he's studied. The man has knowledge of the entire existence of the bass; yes that means upright classical bass, too. He's an extreme mind in jazz harmony as well; all of the studies encountered within those realms makes for a good musician. This means if you place Pete in any situation that needs the bass, any genre, etc, he will know what to do, and groove it well. Case in point: when he's not on tour, he plays with some amazing jazz musicians. Want proof? Go to the Crossroads In Garwood NJ Feb 23rd, 5:30pm (Pete plays bass on my record Billy Carrion Jr - "Transformed Conceptions," available on itunes, and will be playing in my group on upright) You'll see your favorite bassist like your never seen him.... At his true best....