Peter Steele / Type O

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Brick, N.J.
    I know many of us miss the low end that Peter Steele of Type O Negative provided. Can't believe it will be 3 years in April since his passing.

What is your favorite Peter Steele bass line?

RIP P.S.
  2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I still haven't listened to as much Type O Negative as I should, but I really like the riff to Be My Druidess. I just wish it had more...lows. It feels kinda hollow.
  3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Claremont, CA.
    I appreciate Peter Steele more as an overall songwriter than a bass player. "Love You to Death" is a brilliant written song, IMHO. He always had an uncanny ability to blend darkness with humor.
  4. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Pete was an amazing song writer with a voice like no other. I really miss TON. His bass playing was really cool too, but I think his writing was what did it for me. Gonna listen to Type o today for sure!!!
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Brick, N.J.
    Well put & I agree 100%. He was a good friend, little brother & bandmate.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Couldn't pick a definite favourite but I love to the fretless work in wolf moon of Bloody Kisses.

Type O is easily one of my favourite bands, Pete will be sorely missed.
  8. grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Love "Creepy Green Light", and of course "Christian woman". RIP Pete.

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Wow, 3 years already? Great bass player that is definitely missed by myself and alot of my buddies.

October Rust was one of the first albums I bought in my teenage years. It's a shame I never got to see them live.
  10. Huge TON fan here

Here's a pic of his pedal rig

and there are WAY too many cool TON basslines to choose only one
  11. Are the dials on the distortion glued in place?
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2010
    did that doc he was in called living the american nightmare ever come out
  13. t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    He's one of my fav's too even though he plays absolutely nothing like I do (or vice versa).

Fav TON bass line probably has to be Summer Girl / Sets Me on Fire. October Rust = masterpiece.

:rolleyes::p:D (Green men)
  14. I know it's the song everyone goes to, but Black No. 1 is a great simple line.
  15. There is something to be said for the badassness of playing a doublebass like this, even if it is just for show.

Attached Files:

16. t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA

Interviewer: You play the bass one-handed quite a bit. Can you explain where you got that technique?

Pete: When you're as ugly as me you learn how to do a lot of things with one hand.

17. Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Pete Steel = The Kurgan (from the first Highlander movie)
  18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Halloween isn't the same without Type O. They used to play Toad's Place every year. I friggin' love them. My friends and I went every year. I remember one year they played Toads on Halloween and The Webster on Thanksgiving. We spent two holiday's with them that year. They opened the Toad's show playing a cover of NIB. It was AWESOME!!!

Another friend was a HUGE fan, and Peter randomly showed up at his work looking for him before a gig. Imagine him walking around a grocery store looking for a 17yo kid. I forget the whole story behind it, but it was pretty cool. I think I have a picture of it somewhere.

Favorite bass line?
    Too Late: Frozen

Favorite song?
    Unsuccessfully Coping With the Natural Beauty of Infidelity

Other favorite songs?
    Black No.1
    Bloody Kisses
    Blood & Fire
    Love You To Death
    It's Never Enough
    12 Black Rainbows

Bloody Kisses
  19. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Best bass line? It's in "The Misinterpretation Of Silence And Its Disastrous Consequences."

Bad Ground and Skip it (including the lesser-known cassette tape version of the song) are tied for second place.
  20. The whole of October Rust is a desert island album for me. Particularly the song "haunted". When he belts out "I hate the morning", it's like musical perfection!

RIP Peter. You are missed.