Petition for Fender: Make a Jag-Stang Bass please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/dallon-weekes-modern-meets-vintage/153522

OK, if Dillon Weekes can have one so should we right?

I mean the best of a Mustang and a Jaguar all in one bass? What's not to love?!

So let's make this an online petition for Fender to put one in production.

To sign the petition, reply to this thread and if you are so compelled, feel free to share your thoughts about why this would be a cool model to add to your bass stash. Here I will start:

-Short scale of the Mustang for great thump

-Active electronics for great thunder

-I love all the knobs and switches. Looks great even if I never use them!

-I loved the way my Mustang played and I LOVE my Jaguars so it only makes sense for me to have a JazzStang.

2. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

The Custom Shop will make you whatever you want...

3. rogerbmiller

Yeah for like $6K.

I was hoping fo a $600 manufactured instrument.

4. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

OP's link won't load for me.

BassPlayer Mag has one of the worst websites I've every had the misfortune to come across. Consistently bad through the years.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcarp555

mcarp555

I seem to recall seeing one someone made on a Jag-Stang forum. Maybe you could Frankenstein your own. The one in the article did look pretty nice, tho.

7. FiXeR

FiXeR Bass monkey, Drinker of swill, No sleep since 1985

I'd buy one for sure! Always loved the guitars so a P-bass style would be awesome.
    I'd want it with passive electronics and a series switch though. A satin finished neck like the american standards would be nice as well while I'm wishing. :bassist:

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

There ya go.

OP the custom shop charges more than $6,000 for a masterbuilt jazz bass, an actual custom instrument is probably far more than that. I would imagine that is what this guy did, the Custom Shop builds dreams, so he told them what he wanted. Fender will make you a 24 fret, neck through, 36" P bass made entirely out of acrylic. You just have to be prepared to pick up the tab at the end of the day.

If they did produce a jag-stang it would have to be a Squier to be had for under $600. I would expect Fender Japan to do it before Fender America did.

9. rogerbmiller

Well it doesn't have to be exactly $600.

I guess the point I should have made is that Fender created an instant classic (to my anyway) when they created the Jaguar which was largely based on the guitar.

I think they might do the same with a Jag-Stang. For me it woudn't necessarily have to be a string hybrid. For instance, it wouldn't have to be a 30" scale. But a P bass with the Jaguar circuitry could be pretty great i think!

10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

IMHO the Jag-Stang looks better as a bass than a guitar (based on that pic.)

11. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP but on a jaguar. None of the production models quite do it for me and the only Fender option is an $8k Masterbuilt. Don't get me wrong, to have something that personal would be well worth the cash but all I'm looking for is a different color, maple fretboard and matching headstock. $8k seems a little excessive.

Warmoth has some pretty cool bodies, you may be able to get pretty close going that route. So far that's the path of least resistance and affordability for me, but they don't have exactly what I'm going for either.

12. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

I did not like the Jag-Stang very much, as guitar I mean, but I am almost sold with the one on the picture. It looks rad, besides bound necks and block inlays are always cool.

[​IMG]

13. rogerbmiller

Whoa that is cool but I am confused. Does someone posting here actually have one?

14. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

[​IMG]

It does not seem to say Fender on the headstock though.

15. hover

hover

Get a donor bound and blocked Fender neck, and comission someone here to make the body, pickguard. The control plate you can get most likely from guitarpartsresource.com, and the rest of the hardware looks pretty standard issue. And why the multi-switch plate with a stanard P pickup?

Done, and done right around your budget if not a few sheckles more. You'd be waiting a mighty long time for Fender to issue a proper jag stang bass though, they wouldn't sell in appreciable numbers.

16. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

That's a lot of knobs and switches for a single split-p pup. I can't even guess what is going on here. Maybe a preamp with V/B/T? But what do the switches do? Adjust the mids? Kill switch? Three producer switches? Pretty cool, nonetheless.

17. hover

hover

Unless they're different cap values or filters inline with the tone control, or setup like the S1 switch in some manner, I'd say it's dummy switches for show.

18. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Y'all need to get it together, that thing looks like a hodgepodge, and not in the good way.

19. Tony Wonder

Tony Wonder

Hey y'all. This is Dallon Weekes here. I have to admit I have been on Talkbass before whenever I'm looking for gear info from people who know more than I do. A friend saw this thread and sent it to me. Im thrilled to see that people dig it! I really hope Fender will do an official one someday.

For those interested, this was made by Nathan Weathers at Third Coast Guitar in Chicago. I approached Fenders custom shop initially, but the price they quoted was more than I could handle. Third Coast did this build for around $3k.

Its basically a P bass in a Jagstang body. Full Scale. Babicz Full Contact bridge. The switch plate runs an on/off series/parallel tone switch (ala Gretsch), an on-board booster/fuzz, and a kill switch.

Thanks for reading guys!

20. SteveV74

SteveV74

Hey Dallon, I' m not familiar with Panic At The Disco, but you get paid to play, and I play in my house, lol, so you must be good, nice looking bass.

21. SteveV74

SteveV74

Who is Tony Wonder if your Dallon Weekes? Im confused, but thats nothing new,lol