Petz Premium Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Pete G, May 24, 2010.

1. Pete G

Pete G

Anyone ever use this stuff?

I just got a new set of Sonores Drago Basso strings from Gerold Genssler for my 5-string, and Gerold convinced me to try a new rosin he had come across that he says works well with his strings (very high-grade, metal-wrapped gut).

I opened the box a few minutes ago, and I was surprised to see that the rosin he enclosed was "Petz Premium."

Like most of us, I used regular Petz rosin early in my playing days, but I moved on as soon as I discovered better choices.

That said, Gerold is a bass player who knows more about bass strings than anyone else, so I'm going to give this stuff a shot and will report back.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear if anyone else has used Petz Premium and has any comments.

2. jonas

jonas

Disclosures:
    Lando Music (Germany)
    I like it, too. It's a very soft rosin. Almost like beeswax (actually, it contains a large amount of beeswax). I haven't used it during summer yet (it just starts to get warm here), but it may get too soft. We will see!

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I've switched to it from Carlsonn/Nymans (long time user)- and a cake of Kolstien All Weather that I really didn't like. If I need something lighter I use a couple of swipes of Jade or Leibenzeller Gold.

But the PP is really pretty good -- if they can get past their old image.

Louis

PS: Pete - how do you like those strings?

4. Pete G

Pete G

I'm absolutely in love with the strings -- see my extensive comments in the "New TWINE Strings" thread under Strings. I've been running them on my four string for half a year now, and I've decided I don't want to play any other strings on any bass.

Bottom line: Once you try Drago, you can't go bago.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Gracias, amigo!

LF

7. Pete G

Pete G

For those who don't want to go looking for the somewhat distractingly-captioned "TWINE" Strings thread, here's an updated version of what I said there:

---

I've been running {Gerold Genssler's} Sonores "Drago Basso" (standard -- not solo -- orchestra strings) on my Arvi (four-string with a low C) for about six months, though the time I've had available for practice has been restricted more than I'd like by demands of my day job.

To preface, I'm a confessed string sl.ut -- I've tried almost all of the popular metal strings, though this is my first foray into guts for many, many years. (My first high school bass had strings made out of dinosaur gut, which was very cheap back then.)

My "standard" setup on the Arvi is Permanents on C/E and A, and Flexocor '92s on D and G. I've tried a lot of other things, including most recently Evahs (beautifully big, round sound, but uncentered pitch on the lower strings), Bel Cantos (great to bow, but a sound that's not big enough or rich enough for me), and Compass 180s (C string breaks way too easily, strings otherwise interesting -- but weird).

As to the Sonores Drago Bassos, what can I say? I'm in love.

The Sonores strings are shockingly thin to those of us who grew up on gut strings the thickness of your pinky. My Dragos are no thicker than standard Evahs, and probably thinner. And while they are expensive, I take some comfort from the 2-year guaranty. When they first arrived, I showed the strings to a bass luthier in the area who specializes in period instruments with gut strings, and he said the quality of the strings is superb.

From a playing standpoint, the strings speak very easily; the tone is rich, deep, clear, and complex; the volume is tremendous, especially on the two lowest strings; and they have a personality unlike any other string I've played -- "guttiness," I guess. I've been playing a lot of baroque sonatas on these -- and it's the most addictive experience I've ever had on the bass. Once I start, I can't stop. When I have to stop, I start playing again as soon as I can.

One specific point -- the vibrato that can be generated on these strings is amazing -- unlike anything possible on any other string I've tried. The Drago vibrato makes me feel part Gypsy.

In addition, and unlike some other gut strings, it is entirely possible to play these at standard metal-string heights; I didn't move the bridge adjustors a bit when I switched over.

It is sometimes said of gut strings generally that they aren’t responsive enough, or that their pitch becomes unreliable in thumb position.

To the first point, I can only say that there is no responsiveness gap between these strings and metal strings -- except that the Dragos are MORE responsive than almost any metal string I've tried, with the possible exception of the Bel Cantos.

In addition, the Drago strings hold pitch reliably all the way up the fingerboard. (If I made my living in thumb position, though, I'd try the solo version that Gerold offers.)

The character of the tone IS different from metal orchestral strings, especially on the G string, but not so wildly different that I would contemplate a major problem fitting in with a section that is already using a variety of different strings. (I wouldn't audition on these because of that difference, but once I had orchestral "tenure" I don't think I'd be thrown out for using them.)

My teacher (the principal bassist with an ICSOM orchestra) played these and was amazed that any gut string could perform like the Dragos. He comes originally from a jazz background and also thought the strings would be outstanding for jazz use. (Genssler makes other strings specifically tailored for jazz).

Bottom line: there isn't any string that's perfect for everyone, and these aren't either. I love playing them, though, and would recommend them, subject to the observations above.

8. Pete G

Pete G

Back to the Petz Premium Rosin...

It's good stuff. But I think I'm just a Pop's kinda guy...