1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

PF 500 with 4X10 + 2X10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassman75, Dec 22, 2013.

1. bassman75

bassman75

Good morning friends.
    I've got this wonderful amp recently and I really love it.
    It is capable of delivering 500 watts into 4 ohmns, and 350 watts into 8 .......
    Here the question (have read a lot about this) my cabins have the following impedance:

4 × 10: [/ U] [/ CENTER]
    ● SPEAKER: EMINENCE 4 x 10 "MADE IN USA (BP102 legend)..
    ● POWER: 800 WATT / 1600 WATT PROGRAM
    ● IMPEDANCE: 8 OHM
    ● HORN DRIVER WITH EMINENCE 1 "

2 x 10: [/ U] [/ CENTER]
    ● SPEAKERS: EMINENCE 2 x 10 "MADE IN USA (BP102 legend)..
    ● POWER: 400 WATT / 800 WATT PROGRAM
    ● IMPEDANCE: 8 OHM
    ● HORN DRIVER WITH EMINENCE 1 "

Given this information, and knowing that the car 2 x 10 will get twice the power 4 x 10, my question goes out how "hard" and as I get to push hard, without breaking the speakers 2 x 10.
    Generally give concerts in bars for about 100/150 people

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll have to figure that on your own, bro. Just remember that if it sounds like it might explode, it will.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Good advice.^

Bp102 are pretty tough but not unbreakable if you're stupid.

You really should get another 2x10 and reap the vertical stack. You're limited to that amount of power handling anyway.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 it makes little sense to combine these 2, as the limits will be the capabilities of the smaller cab. That leaves the larger cab under utilized. Better to use 2 of the 210's in this case. But, if you do this, pay close attention to the 210, as it can get pushed too hard, and not be noticed, with the 410 blasting away unharmed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman75

bassman75

Thanks for your answers, I need to take my doubt ......
    As to the division of power that would take each case (50% / 50%), knowing that the smallest 2 x 10 can receive a total of 400 watts, for playing with a good high volume, would be getting 250 watts by the head? If this is correct, would not have to break into problems with the speakers?
    Apologize, I've never had any problem with this configuration, but to get a new head, it seems that what I had believed to be clear or is no longer so.
    Again thanks for the info.

7. headband

headband Supporting Member

Each cab is 8 ohms giving a 4 ohm load with both. Your cabs together will easily handle the head's output. Your biggest electro/mechanical problem will be driving the amp into distortion which can cause heat buildup in the drivers. You just need to listen-most drivers begin to tell you when they've had enough.

8. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

You could just leave the 210 at the house.
    Approximately 280 Watts into your 410 is plenty enough for +/-200 person room.
    any bigger, DI it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As long as the distortion is at a level that won't blow the speakers, they will be fine.

10. headband

headband Supporting Member

Agreed - and usually the mechanical limitations will hit before any electrical issues. Some speakers can take a lot of abuse.

11. bassman75

bassman75

Thank you all for your opinions and advice I was playing a lot with this configuration at high volume, and has responded very well, lots of definition and clarity; do not feel I have danger of rupture, as Jimmy said, it is best to hear what happens with speakers.
    It may not be the best idea this combination of boxes, but for now, a fairly high volume and has given me good results.
    I still feel like there's a bit more space to increase the volume, but I've come this far, no need to force anything to regret later.
    That said, I must confess that I've fallen in love PF 500!

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The 2x10 @ 8Ω coupled to an 8Ω 4x10 limits the 4x10 to around the output of the 2x10. It is therefore a pointless exercise. You'll be no louder than the 4x10 by itself.

13. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

OP - Just try it.

My guess is you will hear yourself better with the extra 210 - which should keep you from turning up too loud (and blowing it).

14. Bass 45

I think the watts would be evenly split between the two 8 ohm cabs. One cab has four speakers and one has two speakers.

The cab with less speakers has a lower power handling.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Correct, but redundant.

16. Bass 45

I was responding to a post that has since been deleted.

17. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

It was my post, as I was having a hard time understanding the wattage discrepancy. Then the brain fart lifted... Sorry, didn't think any had seen it.

18. marutizhiyi

marutizhiyi

Just remember that if it sounds like it might explode, it will.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. phunkysteve

phunkysteve

I have a pf500 and use an Ampeg 410HEN. I was able to try an SVT 210AV with the 410 at a jam once. It did not help at all, I lost all the tone I was pushing and it really did feel completely restricted by the 210 rather than being louder or having more. I kept pushing my amp for more but it just couldn't get anything close to what I normally get from the 410. Could be just my experience, I enjoy a punch to my sound/tone and usually keep the bass backed off to 3 or 4 on most amps, adjusting mid and treble to taste, for reference on differing eq expectations if relevant.

20. bassman75

bassman75

Merry Christmas Friends.
    December 30, the day in the evening I'll be playing in a concert with the band at a place for 200 people, there will be the litmus test of PF 500 / 4X10 +2 X10, considering all their advice and opinions, coupled with tests I've done during these days, I decided to go to the show with all the potential.
    Surely I will be informing you of the outcome soon.
    Thanks again, I'm still always learning a little bit of everything and everyone.

21. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Put a pair of 8 ohm BP102's in the 2X10 wired in series, making it a 16 ohm cabinet.

Then every speaker will see the same power and all will be well.