1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

pf500 died

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JWP, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JWP

JWP

looking for suggestions. Ampeg pf500 just died. Just powered up and the fault lamp lit and the fan died. Also heard a small electrical hum before it died. Hoping this is as easy as replacing the fan but not sure. This head is out of warrenty. Any suggestions or similar experiences?
  2. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    My first PF500 died due to a shorted speaker cable but the fan still came on despite the fault light. Wish I could help any more than that...
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

LOL
    Purchase a new amplifier that does not say the word "Ampeg"
    :)
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Unless it is full of tubes.
  5. arai

arai

These^
  6. JWP

JWP

Thanks all and lol on the advice not to purchase ampeg! Will get this to a service center and see what the verdict is...at the very least this will become a backup head...now...what to buy for a primary head? Will be matched with an ampeg 115he...i do love the way the pf500 sounded though!
  7. Sollie7

Sollie7

if you love the way the portaflex sounded then don't get a different ampeg :bag:
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    VT pedal into an amp that won't $#!+ the bed?

:p Really, I'd take a real SVT or even a 3-pro any day....but can't trust these things....too many horror stories. I did thump on a pf rig in a GC for a bit....real nice tone. It has "that sound", but I don't care when I'd spend every gig wondering which note is going to fall silent.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Did you try the amp with no cab plugged in to eliminate a shorted speaker cable?
  10. JWP

JWP

Hey b string...tried it but no good. Have it shipped off for repair. Had to pick up a backup head and just got the micro vr 200....glad i did...really impressed so far! First rehearsal tomorrow...cant wait to hear it with the full band...
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    They making a 200 watt Micro VR? That would be pretty cool.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It's like the full powered Micro VR only littler! :D
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All Micro VR's are 200w at 4 ohms. Great head...love mine, however, the PF350 gets more play for me because it fits in a laptop bag and sounds just like the Micro VR with 150 more watts. That said, the Micro VR does look cooler ;)
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    :D

I've never seen it written with the "200" after the name, thought they were 100 watts or something and this was a newer one.

......brainfart on my part.....I can do most of my gigs with a 200 watter. Never know....might end up in the Ampeg club afterall.;)
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Aside from the obvious tone differences, I wonder how that would compare to my 400rb just in "apparent" or "percieved" loudness. That amp handles my indoor gigs fine, I am running it full bore when outdoors thoigh and it's just barely enough......barely.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well at the end of the day, the wattage is what it is. But I do most of my gigs with a B-15, even outdoor gigs, so it's never been an issue for me.
  17. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It was worth checking first :) Good luck with the repair.:cool: