PF500 or MB500 or LH500 for my SVT410HLF cab ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

So I have it narrowed down to these 3 heads to mate up to my recently purchased new SVT410 cab.

Right now I'm using my back-up GK MB200 amp and does an amazing job, but I want to keep the MB200 as my back-up and get a 500watt'er for my main amp.

The Ampeg PF500, the GK MB500 or the Hartke LH500,,,, I'm really equally on the fence on all 3 of these,,,, anyone out there care to offer any opinions or advice regarding any of these heads used with the 410HLF cab ???

For what it's worth, all my bass's are BEAD set-up, I live on my bottom B string, I always play with a pick and prefer a bright punchy clean non-muddy sound and tone, all my bands I'm in are working rock cover bands that are a bit on the loud side, playing small, med and large venues.

Thanks much in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. bassfaith

bassfaith

For me, if the MB200 doing an 'amazing job' then the MB500 would be the one I would go with

3. hover

hover

Yup.

Played the LH500 thru my 410hlf, could never get it to "cut through" even tho I liked the tone it wasn't doin it.

I currently use the PF-350, but soon will be making the move to a ToneHammer5.

4. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

The PF500 will sound good with the 410HLF..true Ampeg sound with plenty of bottom end.

BUT, I prefer my MarkBass LMIII with my Avatar410..very powerful with lots of Thump.

Side by side, the MarkBass sounds louder.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. twbassman

twbassman

I have a Hartke LH500, love it with my Hydrive 410. Not sure about the SVT.

Hard choice!

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Impeccable logic +1.

Unless you just want to play product return with some store are you looking for a different sound? IMO the PF will not fit your description, you might get it out of the Hartke.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can get that sound out of any of them, though you might favor the way one does it over the other. I would get as much micro wattage as you can afford, though. It really does seem to help micros in the bang/zoom department.

9. Davyo

I'm not sure if my local GC likes playing product return with me anymore, they might even have a poster of me back in their break room with a warning reading "Do not sell to this guy" or "Don't count that commission check just yet".

But the reality is, one never knows how the gear you purchase is going to sound and work out in the wild on a real gig until you get that gear out into the wild and see for yourself.

Cheers
    Davyo

10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    The 410 HLF is the great equalizer here, pun intended. It will make all these amps sound similar, even before you move the knobs. Good pick tone is nothing but eq and technique, and some cannot do it. So they buy amps voiced to what they like.

Buy what you like and eq it.

11. Davyo

Interesting thought you raise,,,, does the SVT410hlf have such a unique baked in tone that it will make any amp sound similar ?

Cheers
    Davyo

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    All cabs color the tone, to a greater or lesser extent. The 410HLF is a bassier cab that the dub and reggae players seem to love. I'd say the real test of your next amp is how much it can make the cab not sound like a 410HLF, within reason.

13. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

I am currently running that set up - PF-500 + SVT 410 HLF Classic, and I love the sound it produces; plenty of bottom; good mids, variable horn setting dial; really happy with this combination. Been using the head a fair amount with no issues at all!