PF500 with two PF210 or one PF410 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sbpark, Feb 3, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

Right off the bat I am guessing it would be better to run the PF500 with the two PF210 cabinets, since each cabinet is 8ohms, combined would be 4 ohms, allowing you to run the PF500 at it's full potential. If using the PF410 cabinet which is rated @ 8 ohms, it would only be able to receive half the power from the amp, or am I missing something here?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The volume difference would be pretty small between the two 210's and that 410.

Personally I would look to two of the PF 115LF's. Those are actually my favorite ampeg cab right now.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A little less than half. It's 300 vs 500w depending on impedance. I don't know...I consider the wattage bump fairly insignificant volume wise, although you will get a little more clean headroom.

4. sbpark

sbpark

THanks for the explanations! I'm looking to purchase a PF500 and was torn between getting a PF210 now and possibly picking up a second PF210 later on, then realized the price of the PF410, which seems like a great deal, but wasn't sure about how different the 410 would be compared to the two 210 cabs as far as volume.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Something that should be mentioned is the PF 210HE and the 410HLF are going to sound very different. The 210 is a sealed cab, and the 410 is rear ported. Ported/sealed is a personal preference, but there are tonal differences.

Two PF 210HE's would be about $800 from guitar center, the 410 is $550, and two PF 115LF's would be $700. This is not including any of the deals, coupons, promotions or such that you could get depending on the timing of your purchase.

In my mind the only advantage to the 410 is that you could add a second one down the line.

7. sbpark

sbpark

But for my use i would see no need to ever add a second 410! And you are right about the sealed vs. ported cabs. The dilemma is because I play all different types of music from heavy indie rock to old school country, and also want to start playing reggae, and trying to decide which combo would be the most versatile.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO there is no tonal benefit to choosing the the 10" based PF speakers over the 15" ones. Either a pair of PF 115HE or 115LF cabs would be my preferences over the pair of 210's or the 410HLF.

9. sbpark

sbpark

could you explain you reasons why? (I'm curious and would liek to hear other's opinions and rationales for their opinions.) Coming from more of an indie/punk background my gut tells me to get the 10's, but am seriously considering (2) PF115 cabinets.

Even though I metioned I play more indie rock stuff, I am looking for more of an 'old-school' sound and will be playing either a '76 Precision or MIM Classic 50's Precision through it. Thanks!

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The idea that "10's are fast and 15's are slow..." is bull sh!t. The diameter has little to no effect on the tone of the speaker. Its about the design of the speaker and the cab built around it. Personally I dont care for the implementation of tweeters in commercial cabs and I like ported cabs. So the 115LF would be my choice. The best thing you could do is go try all the cabs yourself and let your ears decide.

11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I compared the 210 and the 115 a while back and thought the 115 sounded a bit fuller. IMO a rig with two 115 or 210 cabs would be more versatile. There are times when you might just want the one cabinet for smaller gigs or practice. If you need more volume then you can add the second cabinet. There are several TBers running the PF500 with two PF115he cabs. I'm sure they could give you more input on what they like about that rig.

12. sbpark

sbpark

Thanks guys! Like I said I'm a guitarist who's taking up bass so its great to hear reasons and opinions from others with more experience! Much appreciated!