1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PF500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by remainthesame, Aug 1, 2013.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

Hey guys and gals, I did a search but i couldn't find quite what i was looking for.

Anywho, Its time for a different amp and i saw what i think is a good deal on CL. Ampeg portaflex 500 and an ampeg 410 for $425 and they appeared to be in good condition.

Im not so worried about the 410 but Ive never really had any experience with the head. ive heard a couple stories of them dying in the middle of shows and stuff like that, but i also heard some people claim that its a workhorse.

So my questions are for those of you who own (or owned) this head , why was it or was it not a workhorse? what are the pros and cons? if you were me, would you snag this deal up?

Thank you in advance for any feedback and as always guys please no fighting, bickering or anything of the like. we can all get along here.
  2. remainthesame

remainthesame

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I run mine hard into a 4 Ohm cab. Never shut down on me once.

YMMV.
  4. remainthesame

remainthesame

is it a good head? would you snag this deal up if you were me?
  5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you like the Ampeg sound and need something that will handle about any local gig, any genre, sure.
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I like the amp, never giged that cab. IMHO the cab makes up more of your sound than the amp. Go play the rig. If you like the sound buy it, if not what else is there available to you on the used market?
  7. remainthesame

remainthesame

Im still looking around, but im just suprized to see this much amp for such low price so i really want to like it. i played the head at guitar center for like 5 minutes. i like the tone. im just more worried about the couple of horror stories ive heard about this amp. i know some amps die but i was worried that maybe it was an issue with the head as opposed to the player.
  8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

IMO the reported problem is definitely with the head, or rather, certain heads as opposed to the user. BUT it's not all of those heads by any means. Currently, the TB poll shows twice as many people have never had any issue at all.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There are lots of reported problems with this head. Search around to find more info...

I would not buy it, even at much less money.
  10. shoot-r

shoot-r

BIG +1!!!

IMHO, the PF-500 's should come with a warning label attached saying "Buyer beware."

I'm on my second PF-500 (and it's presently in the shop for repairs.)

If you must have a PF head wait and go with the PF-800.
    So far their proving to be MUCH more reliable.
  11. arai

arai

12. DalibortheBeast

DalibortheBeast Supporting Member

I'm on my third PF500. The first one stopped working after about six months. I was sent a new one after sending mine back and received the replacement six weeks later. The second one also stopped working after about six months. This time I contacted Ampeg directly and they sent me a new one right away and paid for my shipping of the old one back. The third one has been running fine for about a year.

I must say it makes me nervous playing the amp live but the tone is awesome. It's very easy to get a variety of great sounds and it has some nice simple features like a mute switch and tuner input.

Would I buy one again knowing all of this? No.
  13. Jheake

Jheake

+1 to the PF800. While my 500 didn't cut out, the 800 has much more headroom. It also has a bit more heft. Just go with an 800
  14. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

I own and have gigged the PF500/115HE rig. I like the form factor of the amp. It sounds very good, with a distinct Ampeg tone.

Mine did crap out on me on 1 gig (out of maybe 50) for no apparent reason. But, then again, it worked perfectly fine for all the rest. That being said, I don't use it so much, except for rehearsal anymore.

I understand Ampeg did a decent job of handling failed units, but keep in mind that used PF500's do not qualify for warranty.

good luck.
  15. Jheake

Jheake

Whoops sorry, double post.
  16. remainthesame

remainthesame

well guys, i rolled the dice. shes in my basement and im loving it so far. hopefully ill be one of the lucky ones
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Considering what Ampeg 410's go for used, I think you got a pretty reasonable price for the package. Which one did you get?
  18. remainthesame

remainthesame

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The old Victor Wooten cab...nice!
  20. remainthesame

remainthesame

yeah im liking it so far. but i have to ask, can you explain to me what the mid frequency swich does? in laymans terms?