1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pfft! Drummers!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sound of bass, Mar 3, 2014.

1. sound of bass

sound of bass

As you may know I post occasionally about our stereotypical drummer and his addiction to beer and bar sluts, his getting wasted at rehearsal and some gigs etc. A search has been on for a new, reliable and sober drummer for several weeks now. Hes been with us just about 2 years and although we all drink beer at rehearsal to kinda loosen up, he's the only one that gets wasted!! He also misses the most rehearsals. Anyway....as Im driving in to work tonight, I got a text from him saying he's sorry but he has to make a choice between music and his family, so he has to quit playing with us (and his other band thing) and get his **** together! Hes 30 years old, still lives with parents and has 2 young boys, nothing but turmoil between him and his baby mama, you'd swear hes a 17 year old kid! What bothers me is: He only sent a text, not an actual phone call, and didnt call or text any other band members! Tho Im relieved, Im still pissed off! I feel like we babysat him for 2 years and put up with his B.S. for nothing. The only good thing I have to say about him is, hes a really, really, kickass drummer! Until he gets drunk that is.
    He is thee stereotypical drummer we all make jokes about, no doubt about it, Im sure you all know one. Thanx for the rant players.

2. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

You're better off without him. Just quitting via text shows what a loser and a tool he is. You already knew he was, and now he went and confirmed it.

You'll find another drummer, and know to be pickier about what habits your band will or will not tolerate.

3. pasmithy

pasmithy

You complained about him when you had to play with him. He gives you an easy way out and you are still complaining. He was having problems. How much could you really expect out of him?

Can't wait till he gets his "****" together and you are trying to get him back...LOL

4. sound of bass

sound of bass

Yes we are better off without him for sure, I realize that but its also a pain in the ass starting from square one again. He was our 3rd drummer in 2 years! We've been having a problem finding dedicated players. The last drummer blew off 2 rehearsals in a row cuz he had to mow his lawn! We cut him.
    Were not against having a few brews during rehearsals or gigs...I certainly do it, but getting wasted, is out of the question.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sound of bass

sound of bass

Not complaining that he quit, but he should have been a man and went about it the decent / professional way. And NOOO, he will not be back in my band! I was just ranting. Thanks for your indulgence.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

If he's that irresponsible, I'm surprised that you expected anything more than a text. That was perfectly in keeping with behavior you've described in the past. Just give him a :rollno: and move on, he has enough problems.

8. pasmithy

pasmithy

Did he know you were looking for a replacement for weeks? If he did, what did you expect? If he didn't what could you expect?

If he is sincerely trying to get his "****" together, I'll trade you one talentless drummer for your "kickass" drummer. (once **** is together, of course.) ;)

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

sounds to me like the name of the thread should have been

ppfffttt...alcohol!

I am willing to bet that the alcohol, not the drumming, is the bigger problem....

just saying

10. marko138

marko138

I'd prefer a text over a phone call for just about anything. Someone quitting included.

11. Salamenster

Salamenster

This. I'm about to pull the plug with the formation of a band with a guitarist-friend of mine and I'm just fine with doing that via whatsapp.

12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

as much crap as you're talking i wouldnt actually want to talk to you either

13. Salamenster

Salamenster

To whom is that aimed? The OP? (Just asking)

14. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

the op

15. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Textquit is fine in my book. It beats just having him not show up for a gig as his way of resigning.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

lol ~

Hmm. I was just thinking, for a small fee we (TBers) could call, text or email (your choice) bands or band-mates to tell them you quit, they’re fired, or whatever you want. :D

17. Salamenster

Salamenster

Heck I'd do it for free to help a brother out.

18. obimark

obimark

It used to be we as bassist were completely in demand and could pick/choose whatever bands we felt like.
    I believe the tide has turned, and now it is the drummers who are in demand, particularly if they are ANY and I do mean ANY good.
    There seem to be more bassist available than GOOD bands in my area (ATLanta) Note the emphasis on the word GOOD.

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Surprised he didn't butt-dial the resignation.

20. squirefan

squirefan

I guess I never experienced that stereotype with drummers. All of the ones I've been in a band with have their act together pretty well.
    Some of the guitards OTOH...

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 lol