1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PH Meters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

anybody have any experience with those inexpensive ph meters that they sell for swimming pools, etc

i refer specifically to the ones the go from 0-14....

are they accurate and how much trouble are they to maintain, calibrate etc

thanks

[​IMG]
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I think I had to check the pools ph using a water sample. You'd drop a few drops of this solution into the sample and see which color it turned. There was a little color chart to check it against.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you are talking about the PH meters that work by dipping in your water, the ones popular with hydroponic growers, I went to a family reunion in MI this past summer and my cuz is a (legal) weed grower there. He gave me a mini tour of his hydroponic grow and among his tools he had several of them so apparently they are good enough for hydroponic weed cultivation.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Depending on what you want to use, keep in mind that many of the cheaper electronic ones don't work too accurately at the extremes (pH ~1-3 & pH ~11-14).
  5. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Bloodhammer would probably be the expert on this. I think he maintains pools as a profession.
  6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

Not often, thank the gods. I mainly repair and replace equipment and run wires and pipe. I'm not all that good with the chemistry side of it, but if you want to know how to fix a gas pool heater, I'm your man. Just don't get irate if I tell you it needs to be replaced. :rolleyes:

:p

Anyway, I've never seen pH tests for pools that go from 0-14. Typical pool pH tests go from 6-8 because anything above or below that range is considered extreme for pools.