Phantom power, supplied by amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by babsobass, Dec 29, 2013.

1. babsobass

babsobass

Has anyone ever used XLR phantom power to power a pedal with an XLR output, with that output connected to their amp? I read a review of the VT Bass DI and the reviewer claims to power the pedal this way. I have my doubts that an amp will supply power to the cable like a board can/will. And it seems like you would need to build a special cable that opens the signal lines so that both ends aren't driving them.

Seems like a real stretch to me, but who knows, always good to ask such things!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He was not getting phantom from his amp, but from the mixer that the DI output was connected to.

Aside from that, some EBS amps send phantom via a TRS cable, but they are a rare exception. Most other amps do not have that option.

3. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

Phantom power is typically used to power microphones, and a typical bass amp would not be configured to receive a microphone input, so I doubt that a bass amp would supply phantom power. However, if he is running his VT Bass DI into a preamp that also was designed to accept microphone inputs, then it would probably be able to supply phantom power, thus powering his pedal. Not sure if the VT Bass DI can be powered this way, I know that the VT Bass Deluxe can.
    The reviewer might be taking phantom power from some other source (like a board) to power his pedal via xlr, and be sending the signal to his amp through a 1/4 inch regular guitar cable.

4. babsobass

babsobass

He states: "I power this thing with phantom power with an XLR cable from my amp." Not much detail, but seems pretty clear.

Anyway, I think you guys have already answered my question. I'm not going to be cabling the XLR out of my MB500 to my VT Bass DI XLR out to power it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a couple of amps made for upright bass where they mix a mic input and a pickup, so those might have phantom for the mic.