1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phantoms by Paik...I.D. this fuzz!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr_Sore_Fingerz, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Mr_Sore_Fingerz

Mr_Sore_Fingerz

Absolutely in love with the fuzz (or overdrive) on the bass in this song. Any idea of a fuzz that could come close to or they might be using? I know the bass being used is a fender P bass, but thats about it...it's a pretty small band. The song is Phantoms:

http://www.last.fm/music/Paik/Monster Of The Absolute
  2. Mr_Sore_Fingerz

Mr_Sore_Fingerz

Actually, the song is quite catchy too =)
  3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Bump on this, actually interested to find out myself.

What kind of bass are you using and what amp?
  4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I have a class today, but I'll give this a careful listen when I get home and figure it out for sure. ;)
  5. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Sweet, looking forward to hearing your take on it
  6. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Kinda reminds me of this guy. But the Barnacle has more bawlz. Which I prefer. That was actually my first ever fuzz pedal. Got it used from Delta Phoenix. Loved that guy. Sold it to.....I think Tendollarcat in Australia....maybe......

7. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Barnacle sounds like a great pedal, what made you sell it?
  8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    At the time, it was a bit much for me. I wanted something more like the smallsound/bigsound TA!FM. Something versatile with a clean blend. Now I have a parallel looper with a built in clean blend so the Barnacle would be more attractive.....but I prefer the versatility of the TA!FM to get me different tones.

But I've probably been through a good 30 other fuzz pedals before coming back to the TA!FM (sold my first, just got my second). So the true answer to your question would be "my wandering eyes".
  9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

It sounds like a Muff to me.
  10. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

I hope it is a muff, that way I can buy that new big muff deluxe and call it a day lol

Anthony Petrovic is their bassist on that album, he has a facebook profile so I think I'll add him and ask what he used on it. I can tell by his pics that he likes P-basses, so that's probably the bass he did it on.