1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Phase 90 volume question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jaycephas, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

I just picked up a used MXR Phase 90 in good cosmetic condition and noticed that when I engage the pedal my volume drops off. Is this inherent in the pedal or is this a flaw? I have had many pedals and have not noticed this. My first phaser, so if this is normal, so be it.

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

hmmmm i have the mxr hase 90 evh. i have not noticed any volume drops. it is much more subtle than your average phaser. have you ever played another phase 90?

3. Jaycephas

Nope. Kinda weird that it does this. Anyone else experience this drop in volume?

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Nope, had the regular one, no volume drop. What a boring phaser though

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

is there maybe a gain trimpot inside? i'm just guessing

7. lowbass68

lowbass68

Never experienced this on the Phase 90.

8. KarateKid25

KarateKid25

Yep.

Can't say I remember any volume drop with mine, so you might want to try adjusting the pot.

EDIT: Now I think about it, im not 100% sure if the trim pot controls gain... Don't screw with it just yet. If you do, mark it with a pen first!

MORE EDITING: I googled.... "It affects the center of the sweep as well as the symmetry of the LFO, so in addition to a super breathy phase across the higher frequencies that almost sounds like a flanger, you can wind up with some super choppy vibrato sounds or the most convincing vintage Univibe this side of Mr. Gilmour’s collection"

Possibly not going to fix your problem...

9. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Ive got an MXR Phase 90, lovely pedal. Thins out your Bass a little though, I think I may swap it for an EHX XO Small Stone.

10. Jateca

Jateca

I've always noticed a subtle boost when I switch mine on. Also distorts the mids a little bit, but not enough to be a problem.

Have you checked out the popular mods for a phase 90? If I remember right they only involve removing a couple of the resistors from the circuit. Just google it.

11. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    I've used a vintage Bud box script logo, the 80's block logo, and the newer Dunlop recreation. I didn't notice a volume drop with any of them, but I also didn't notice much phasing. Moved on to a Small Stone very shortly afterward, and more recently to a ModFactor for my phasing needs. Now I just need to figure out how to get everything to fit on the board... :help:

12. Jaycephas

Okay, so I changed a couple of patch cables, moved effects around and...no more volume drop.

Go figure. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.