Phase shifter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bmason81, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bmason81

bmason81

I plugged into a boss phase shifter and really liked what the pedal could do. What is the TB community using for phase shifters?
  2. avvie

avvie

Call me a relic, call me what you will, but I'm still fond of the MXR Phase 90 (script). I had the Boss PS-5 shifter and it does some great stuff- the step filter is cool- but it's just too many knobs for me when I can't really much tell the difference between 4- and 8-step phasers and all that other shizz. With the MXR I can step on the knob and turn it with my foot, fast or slow.

I have a Zoom B3 if I need something with some stranger parameters but that's pretty much a specialty pedal on my board.
    Mosfed likes this.
  3. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Phase 90. I have the regular, non-script one and it sounds great and has held up well over the years. It's also quite cheap (especially if you buy used).
  4. Happynoj

Happynoj

I have a Boss PH-3 that I really like. It's probably not a purists phaser but I like the fact that it can do nice subtle phasing or super over the top deep phasing.
    totallyfrozen likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassTapp

BassTapp

The first pedal I ever bought was just recently the Boss Phase Shifter. After sitting around playing quite literally every boss production pedal around at the moment it was one of my absolute favourites!
  7. Tim_Mofunk

Tim_Mofunk

Morphine Dream. But size wise I really need to grab a Phase 90 or similar
  8. kevteop

kevteop

I really like the Barberpole Phaser on the Line 6 M-series pedals.

I would really like an envelope phaser too. :)
  9. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I'm using the Source Audio Orbital for my phaser sounds. Sounds great! Highly recommended.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I've used a Small Stone (still do) and a block 90. Both work real well on bass, with the 90 sounding noticeably warmer to my ears. Plenty of bottom, real funky.
  11. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I think the norm around here is the MXR Phase 90 and Subdecay Quasar.

The Boss is nice, but try it in a band mix and you'll disappear instantly...

My personal favorite is the TC Electronics TC XII B/K Phaser. B/K = specially tailored for low end (Bass/Keyboards). Very organic and no low-end loss! Not produced anymore though...
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The Phase 90 is tough to beat. I sounds great and is a classic. It works great with bass. I've had one forever and it's basically always been on my board.

I've also got an Empress Phaser which does everything the Phase 90 does plus a whole lot more. It's a great pedal,, although it is large and expensive. When I have the real estate on my board (I change it up frequently) it's my first choice.

I recently picked up a Mooer Orange 90, which is a clone of a Phase 90 in a tiny case. It does a fairly nice job and takes up very little space on the pedalboard.

The phaser model in the Zoom B3 is also pretty decent. When I have my B3 on my board I'll normally just use that for a phaser as it does a nice job too.
  13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

After running through 10 plus phasers, I settled on the EH Small Stone Nano.
    It sounds great, it's simple to dial and its settings are what's needed for bass.

Inexpensive, small footprint too.
  14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I love my EH Small Stone. When I bought it I tried it head to head with Phase 90 and the EH was the clear choice IMHO. I also have a Delta Lab PS-1 which is really good for a $19 pedal.
  15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

my fav is the HBE Psilocybe... which I just sold to fund an SA Orbital which I want to experiment with.
  16. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I haven't tried many but I really like the MXR Phase 100.
    A lot of versatility and dirt cheap used.
  17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Wonder if anybody has the lowdown on the new MXR Phase 99...
  18. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I use a Maxon PT999. One knob; hard to mess up. Always sounds great.
  19. Shardik

Shardik

I have two phasers, and will probably get a third.

1) is a DIY pedal baser om the Musikding Phaser kit, which is a phase 90 clone. I have modded and externalized controls. It now has the following controls: Speed, Depth, Blend, Trim and a feedback switch. This makes me able to dial in a wide range of sounds. It is, however rather large. I use it mostly for guitar these days.
    2) is a Moore Orange Ninety, which obviously is based on phase 90. It has a classic/modern switch which I suspect to emulate both the new MXR and the old script version. It sounds great, but is rather subtle on both settings. It lives permanently on my bass pedal board.
    3) is not a dedicated phase pedal, but I want to mention this: I love my Zoom MS-60B. But I do not like the phaser effect in it. Far too pronounced, no depth knob, and it has a pronounced "whoosh" sound that is not so present in my dedicated phase pedals. I sometimes use it, but to be honest, I find it to be no more than a backup solution.

I am almost sure I'll get an EHX Small Stone Nano. I find the demos and reviews convincing, and being a Phaser addict, I want to expand my palette with this.

PS. I am such a phaser addict that I almost never use chorus, even if that seems to be more common on bass. And don't mention the flanger. The woshing sound makes me go nuts.
  20. erigod23

erigod23

+1 on the HBE Psilocybe
  21. Corythosaurus

Corythosaurus

Disclosures:
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I love phaser on bass. First effect I ever used.

Phase 90 is a great start. Right now I'm using an old Ibanez PT9, which is very similar to a Phase 90, but with extra controls for width and feedback (love having extra controls).

I'm also currently trying out a Boss PH-2 and an old DOD FX-20B, which also both have width and feedback controls. Different sound than the Phase 90, since they use a different technology for phasing. Same technology as the Small Stone, actually (OTAs).