1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Phasers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Nov 30, 2012.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Personally, I'm looking at the HBE Psilocybe, which I have tried and love for bass; and the Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter, which just sounds like a cool name. So if the Jigsaw killer had your family jewels in a vice and was making pick your favorite phaser, what's it gonna be and why?

:bassist:

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

Oct 26, 2012
    I like the MXR Phase 45 Reissue. Adds a nice thickness to my bass with some swirl. Very warm and vintage tone. Set to 1 o'clock and rock.

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I had their Phase 90 with a mod and it was killer. I don't know why I ever sold that one!

I didn't know there was a 45 until today though. When did that come about?

6. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

Oct 26, 2012
    The original Phase 45's came out in the mid 70's. The reissues have been out for awhile, not sure how long. I had the script Phase 90 too, but I like the Phase 45 better.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    what do the mods do, sound-wise? i used to really like my stock PH-2, wish i hadn't sold it...

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    First off, that would have to be a very small vise, and second, it would be the Moog MF-103. It does every phase sound I like, and a bunch I didn't even know were possible. I also have to give points to the MXR Phase 90 Script, the opposite end of the spectrum. I had one, and it is one of about three pedals I sort of regret trading; the others being the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe that made me want to write a review, and the Pigtronix EP-2.

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    PLAY THE VIDEO THAT I MADE!

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Moog MF-103. It's the ultimate phaser for me. Nothing sounds quite like it.
    I also liked the tone of the Boss PH-1R, very natural and musical. The HBE Psylocybe would make my top 3 list but this unit does not like basses with hot output.

Also for a wild ride the Roland Jet Phaser is quite amazing. You're never quite the same after playing this pedal!

11. I tried both the EQD and HBE. for me the EQD was a bit too clinical and effecty. the HBE is more organic and sounded better than the EQD with dirt and fuzz.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Been a Small Stone fan since 1975. Still my favorite.

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    nice! very psychedelic sounds :cool:

hmmm maybe i need some phaser back in my life...

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Nice! That Boss is probably something I wouldn't have ever thought of trying.