Phasing sound coming from Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I was playing on my Home rig (College student, keep my nice rig at home) which I don't play often with my new bass, and I noticed a peculiar sound when I played the low E. I think it's just most prevalent there, but it's a VERY subtle sort of Phasing sound, like a Breeeeaaaaaooooooowwww, not intrusive, but noticeable. I was wondering if this could be due to the fact that one of the speakers in my 4x10 failed (No Idea how) and I had it replaced with a shiny new Eminence speaker. Could some sort of mismatch be causing the sound from that speaker to be out of Phase somehow with the other three? It just struck me today that that might be it. Is that a thing that occurs?

Not NECESSARILY much of a problem, It actually sounds kinda neat. Like I mentioned, it's VERY subtle, which is why I don't mind it much. :smug:

2. murphy

murphy

Yes, I think you are barking up the right tree.
    if you can play loud, what does it sound like?

3. arai

arai

Is it the same type of speaker as the others? If not it definitely could be the speaker causing phasing issues.
    If it is the same type as the existing speakers it could be wired the wrong way around

4. Ezmar

Ezmar

It's a different Type. My Tech said that the others were Chinese made speakers that weren't easily re-coneable and that my options were to try to contact the manufacturer and see if I could get a new speaker that way, or just order a new one. Since after Shipping and handling, the costs were essentially the same, I just got the Eminence.

It sounds the same, but louder? It happens most when I dig in near the bridge or slap. Maybe something to do with the frequency response of the speakers not being exactly the same and mixing in the air?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's exactly right and I think it's your problem. Unfortunately, the only way to combat that is to make all 4 of your speakers the same. I'd go back to the manufacturer and get the right speaker.

7. Ezmar

Ezmar

Meh. I'll deal with it. It's not that bad, and It's an Acoustic B410, nothing special, and Certainly not worth sinking any significant amount of money into. I'll just get a nicer cab down the line anyway.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably what I'd do, too ;)

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Is it a slightly metallic sound?

10. dincz

dincz

"Breeeeaaaaaooooooowwww"?

That really doesn't sound like a speaker phasing problem. Have you tried your bass through another amp/cab?

If it is the cab, what you described sounds more like a mechanical vibration.

11. Ezmar

Ezmar

Well, it's happening to some extent with the string itself, possibly. When I get back to school I can try it on my practice amp. I figured that the amp would be playing some part in it, since I didn't really notice it until I played through that cab for the first time after putting the new speaker in.

I'd also like to amend my onomatopoeia to "neeeeeeaaaaawwwww".

12. dincz

dincz

Trapped cat!

13. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Anyone who's able to amend his onomatopoeia is o.k. by me.

(And I bet it's the string.)