1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phat Phuk Kind of Question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gus1894, Jan 22, 2013.

1. gus1894

gus1894 Supporting Member

Recently picked up a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. Cool pedal, but the lack of any EQ options leaves me wanting more. I knew going in that this was the case, but the only way to truly know if something works for you is to play it.

So, I am looking for a pedal that works similarly to the PPB - boost with some OD flavoring in there - but also has either a Tone knob, or Treble/Bass knobs. Blend is not really a big deal. I'm looking for low gain here in the end.

Any recommendations from my fellow TB'ers would be appreciated

Thanks!
  2. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

look no further: Hardwire Tube Overdrive CM-2, seriously one of the best light "bass" overdrive pedals out there, and for cheap

Otherwise if you want to keep your Phat I recommend you to put an Equalizer in front of it.
  3. gus1894

Thanks. I'll have to check out the Hardwire, I always see great reviews, but have yet try their stuff out.
  4. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

I just got a Phat Phuk Bass, and really like it, but I understand your query.
    For a slightly more tweakable boost with a touch of gain, the Xotic Bass RC Booster is great.
    For light, touch sensitive OD, the Dredge-Tone Angler is wonderful.
    Hope that helps.
  5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Fulltone Bass Drive has a tone knob and an overdrive knob, and compcut setting (what I use it for) is a very nice low gain overdrive.
  6. gus1894

Been very curious about the Angler, just can't find a demo on bass anywhere.
  7. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Supporting Member

The closest comparable thing:

Fuzzrocious Dark Driving
  8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

"Compcut" is just a fancy name for its clean boost mode, isn't it? Which is a perfect way to drive your tube amp ;)
  9. gus1894

Cool, thanks!
  10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

It dirties up my solid state nicely too, so I would say no.;)