Phil Jones Bass Buddy as DI box

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BrotherMister, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Long time reader, first time poster here. If I have made any mistakes such as wrong forum or anything then please forgive me. I'm still learning how to work with this.

If I may, I would like to get straight down to business.

The leader of the function band I currently play with has upgraded the entire PA system to a Bose L1 system with a mix of B1 and B2 bass bins. I believe all in all it cost nearly 10 grand to get everything. It is all operated via iPads and stuff so it is ultra modern but the sound is incredible. Looking at it you wouldn't think it would pack that much punch but it is unreal how loud and clean this thing is. As a result of this the band is operating without amps and running everything through the desk. This leads me to my current predicament.

I'm starting to find myself needing to have a little bit of control over my sound depending on things like the type of room we play in etc. I had a thought that perhaps using something like the Phil Jones Bass buddy would provide a solution to my problems. I figure I can use that as my DI box and the controls on that will allow me to adjust quicker to the room etc. First of all, would this work? and if would/does, has anyone ever tried a similar set up before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

To condense a rather longwinded post into it's simplest form.

Can anyone give me advice, tell me about their experiences about going amp-less?

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

not a direct answer: i used a bass buddy as a preamp for a bit. sounded great! but there were grounding issues when powering it with batteries. be sure to use the power adapter.

4. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Having to go with no amp and you wanting to have some Control (EQ etc). I currently use a Radial Bassbone with great success. I switch between an Electric Upright and a 4 or 5 string Electric Bass. The radial bassbone DI is 2 thumbs up for that situation.
    I have used in the past as a DI MXR M80 good inexpensive DI
    Sansamp (nice but not my cup of tea due to tone coloring)

I used to own a Phil Jones Briefcase Amp and loved the DI with it which I think is the same preamp as a bass buddy

Good Fortune

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Thanks for the advice guys. I much prefer having an amp but the man in charge would rather things were ampless. Being able to double with it would come in handy as well although I prefer mic'ing up the double bass for the most natural sound.

I'll check out the bassbone. I did a bit of digging and found the EBS microbass II and the Aguilar tone hammer doing what I'm after. At first I was only aware of the bass buddy. Thanks for the help, given me some stuff to think about and to try out.

7. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    USAF Band of Flight, Dayton, Ohio
    BrotherMister, all of the preamps you mention will do exactly what you want with that Bose system. I also happen to use a BassBone as a DI. In a few cases when I play double bass on a gig, I'll also tie in a Radial PZ Pre for some extra control.

With any of that stuff, it's just a matter of taste and getting the sound you're looking for!

8. Doley50

Doley50

I have been wanting to go Ampless myself , but my biggest problem is hearing myself on stage and we are not a loud band. What do you guys use to hear yourself ?

9. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Don't forget the Aguilar Tone Hammer! Great pedal format preamp/DI.

10. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

In ear monitors is the key.