1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phil Jones Bass M500 problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by titan2014, Jan 3, 2014.

1. titan2014

titan2014

Hi,
    thought this might be of interest to M500 users.

Having done about 30 or so gigs with my M500 it suddenly started to have very little volume when switched on.
    No real response from Input Level control...and Volume control could be turned all the way up with very little effect.

However...after a short while the volume suddenly surged back on...scary!....and all was OK...until the next time. When it happened again....sometimes switching on and off a few times fixed it...but....not a good situation for live gigs.

To cut a long story short, having been in touch with the suppliers (who are ALWAYS very helpful), it transpires that the problem is either a loose joint somewhere internally OR a loose jumper on one of the internal boards.
    This is also Phil Jones personal opinion as he also was kind enough to get involved.

The M500 has not been banged about and has not been abused in any way (just for the record).

I will probably have to send the Amp for a Pro service as I do not want to tamper too much with it personally.

Anyway.....if anyone gets this problem...I hope the post is useful..I have the full emails from Phil and the service Engineers if anybody needs them.

I should add that after decades of looking for the ultimate in Bass sound..I found it with Phil Jones equipment....so I will be sticking with it.
  2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Previously rollerberg2000 Gold Supporting Member

I've had the same amp (M-500) for five years now, and never had this happen! Phil and Freda will take good care of the problem I'm certain. The internal limiter quit working on mine, and they sent me one free of charge even though it was well out of warranty, it was a quick fix and hasn't missed a lick since.

The M-500 is a time tested, road tested rig for me, I've really put mine through the paces and it's still as good as new!
  3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict Supporting Member

Phil & Freda are great folks. My M-500 went down at a gig a few years ago, and it was caused by a shorted cable that the soundman inserted in the direct out jack. :rollno:
    Freda had me ship the amp to their repair facility, and I was back up & running in about 10 days.
    Repairs were fairly inexpensive, but shipping to St. Louis & back was a bit expensive....

I have also found my ultimate sound with PJB gear, so I too, will be sticking with it. :bassist:

EDIT: Thank God I had my SWR Headlite with me - it saved the day for me.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

i do not own any PJB equipment but, from what I have gathered through reading about the company, I would expect them to take very good care of you. Send it in and get it repaired properly.