1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Phil jones d600 vs Aguilar tone hammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Waksfly, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Waksfly

Waksfly

Please help me with my decision. This is going to be my first serious rig so I want to get it right. We'll be having a gig this December probably a 25-50 people space. D600 paired with 8b or Aguilar th500 paired with sl 112. We are an alternative rock band 2 guitars and a drummer.
    Thanks and by the way I play jazz bass.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

First, those are VERY different sounding heads. 2nd, neither of those rigs will be particularly loud, especially the single sl112, so if you won't have PA support, you'll want more cone area.

3. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

Head - Aguilar or Markbass.

Cab - 2x10 or 2x12 or 4x10 or 15/6 minimum.

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

I have the TH500 and run it thru a Bergantino CN212. It is ridiculously loud @ 4ohms.
    The sl112 should be fine for a small room of 25-50 people with that head. Later on you could pick up a second sl112 and have yourself a great modular rig for all occasions. There is a huge thread here about the TH and its pairings with dozens of different cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps for you. Volume needs are situation - specific. That cab will only take about 125 watts before compression. With my band, even in a small bar, it would not even come close to being enough for me to hear myself or be heard by others.

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Personally, I'd go Phil Jones all the way. I've gigged both the TH500/SL112 and the Super Flightcase (different from the D600/8b, but still Phil Jones) and chose to purchase the Super Flightcase for it's sound. I liked the Aguilar, but the Phil Jones just did it for me. The 8b still has more speaker surface area than the SL112 and those 5" drivers have a lot of punch and deeper, but tighter lows than the Aguilar.

I would not hesitate to get the D600 and a couple of 8b cabs when I sell off my GenzBenz and Bergantino AE112/HS410 rig. But that's just me.

8. Waksfly

Waksfly

Thanks for your input guys....another option might be Phil jones super flightcase for now and add the pb-300 down the road. I read somewhere that u can add multiple pb-300s to a single flight case if I'm not mistaken.