1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phil Jones double four? "Satisfying" sound?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lomo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I know PJB stuff is well-built, but his larger offerings don't
    offer a price/tone-volume or price/weight ratio I like.
    However, this puppy doesn't seem to have any real competition (a quality practice combo under 10 lbs that's small enough to sit on a desk or drop in my suitcase for a trip).

My question is whether at low volume for practice or to accompany acoustic guitar the low frequencies and "thickness" (for lack of a better word) are satisfying.
    I assume it sounds clean without any grit, but does it sound like "bass" (I play 5-string only)?
  2. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I have one on my desk.

It sounds fantastic, but it's not loud.

It's probably louder than most would expect (for such a small box) & can definitely hit the lows. The back is a passive radiator - so get it near a wall for some extension...

My reasoning was to have a practice amp on my desk - that looks & sounds good... It is a great practice amp, and might work in an acoustic setting - but there ain't much headroom...

It definitely sounds like a bass amp.

If you're near Montreal, Moog Audio might have one on the floor to demo...
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Cool, thanks. I really wanna know if it can hang with 1 or 2 acoustic guitars.
  4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Sub'd! I might go try one of these out. There's a dealer in my area. I'll post here if I do.
  5. FenderP

FenderP