Phil Jones flightcase vs. Super Flightcase

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wallyphonic, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

How much louder is the Super Flightcase than the standard Flightcase?

I picked up a flightcase BG-150 for a good price and it sounded great on a couple of low volume gigs but when I tried it on a louder gig it was basically inaudible.

I know it's hard to quantify percieved volume, but is the BG-300 a whole lot louder, or just a little bit louder? Unfortunately nobody local carries the BG-300 to try it out, and I don't want to spend twice as much if it's only a small increase in volume.

It's funny how little the wattage ratings mean. My California Blonde amp at 100 watts and 1 12" speaker is significantly louder than the BG-150 at 150 watts and 4 5" speakers.

Thanks for any input!
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    I just wrote a review for both of these and had a chance to try them side by side for an extended period of time. While they are both great amps, the 300 is significantly louder than the 150. Whether than has more to do with the wattage difference or the extra cabinet size and two extra drivers, I couldn't tell you. I had the same issues you did with the 150, and concluded that for drummerless gigs or for intimate settings with a drummer, it was perfect. Beyond that, it kind of hit its limit and couldn't give more. The 300 is now the amp that I'm taking to most of my gigs, and although I've had it cranked pretty good (last night, in fact, by way of example), it's never given up or not been able to handle the situation. It's a much thicker, more massive sound when it's up loud than the 150. I like to add a HP filter into the FX loop for just such situations, which allows the amp to stay clean at those volumes. But to answer your question, the 300 has got a lot more headroom than the 150 even withou the HP filter.
  3. Treyzer

Treyzer

I've been using a Flightcase 300 for just over a year and it covers all the gigs I'm doing. Lately I've been using the Platinum Pro Preamp in line between the amp and the bass and using the xlr out to the house as well as a mic if it is a concert situation or a large hall. The Fishman Platinum Pro seems to give me a few details that I can't quite get with the eq on the Flightcase. I'm vary happy with this amp, the sound and the size of it. Right now I'm also using a Fishman full circle pickup.
  4. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like I might have to bite the bullet and get the 300. I just wish I could get the same deal on the 300 that I got on the 150:crying:

Chris- I also found that I could get a little more out of mine if I used the hp filter on my fishman pro platinum. I can't turn the input gain up very far before the open E string causes a nasty clipping. The hp filter tames that a little, but I'm really trying to avoid having extra stuff to hookup. I guess the Planet Wing pickup I'm using is a little hot on the lowest notes.

Anybody out there want to talk me out of buying this thing?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SplitNick

SplitNick

I just got my 300. I will be uisng it on a piano trio gig tomorrow. I'll post feedback on Saturday.

Straight out of the box I am impressed with the sound. I'm using this with the HPF Pre. I did get a little bit of feedback with my double bass (Wilfer). I am playing in a fairly closed off space though and I tweaked some knobs and I got better results.

I am concerned with how hard I can push the amp in louder situations, and I am considering my options. My main issue is I want smaller, lighter, more modular equipment.

If the amp is not able to handle my loudest gig situation I am thinking of purchasing a full range powered speaker, or a light non-powered cab with a crown or qsc power amp. Then run from the line out to this equipment.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    If it helps, the cuts on the soundclips page of my site marked "Nachbar" were made using the 300. That trio gets pretty loud, and the 300 is right in there with more headroom to go if I wanted it.
  8. SplitNick

SplitNick

I can hear how it is cutting through well in that situation. My problem is I have to compete with a distorted guitar and a fender rhodes at times.

Good clips by the way.
  9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I have been considering that amp, and have similar reservations. Right now I am using a Clarus through an Aguilar GS112 for Piano Trio/Quartet gigs. It sounds great! But it would be great to have the upfiring speakers to monitor. A few months ago I played through the Phil Jones Suitcase, and while I really liked the sound, the speakers seemed to be working pretty hard. Nice and natural sound though...
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I have the 150 and am very happy with it. On a recent gig, it was plenty loud for a small cafe. I haven't done it yet but my plans are to slave my old Epi UL110 & Focus SA head if I need more kick.
  11. SplitNick

SplitNick

As far as slaving another system, I haven't tried. I have an inexspensive Behringer 4500 and 212 Avatar cab. I like the sound of that rig, but I am hoping to sell it and get a smaller system to pair with the DI of BG-300.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    Thanks. :) You may be asking a bit much of any small DB combo to compete wit that - depending on the overall volume, of course.
  13. SplitNick

SplitNick

I used the combo last night for a swing gig. The room was large, at least 40 yards by 20 yards, I would imagine a capacity of standing listeners of about 200-250. There were not that many people, probably more like 50 to 75.

The band was a trio of bass, drums and piano (clavinova).

The combo performed very well. The stage volume was perfect and no monitoring was needed. I will have to look back to see and post my settings. The combo DI was used through the house PA. The combo might have struggled a bit if there was no PA, but I believe it could have done the job, and for a trio gig this was fairly loud, swing dance music.

I am still doubtful that the combo can hold up, alone on my progressive jazz gig (guitar, rhodes, drum and bass), but for 90% of the gigs I do it will stand alone fine.
  14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

True. And it'll likely cost almost as much as a BG-300.

However, for those who are enamoured with the tone of their BG-150 or BG-300, and who need extra oomph on occasion...

For consistently louder gigs the 74 lb., 750 Watt BG-800's tilt & roll cab design may be better.