1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Phil Jones, Markbass and Scroeder test

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by electriccheese, May 5, 2009.

1. electriccheese

electriccheese

Hi! Before of all sorry my poor english, I'm Spanish...

After spend all the day trying my amps/cabs in all possible combination I tought that I can contribute to the forum writing my opinion. The test it's absolutelly subjective (only my ears ).

Ok let's go. This are the things I have: Scroeder 1212l, Phil Jones 12b, Phil Jones Super Flightcase, Markbass F1, Markbass MiniCMD121, Markbass NY 121.

[​IMG]

-Scroeder 1212l (4 Ohms) & Markbass F1:
    The loudest combination. The punchiest sound to me, poor low end (sounds better in the mix than alone), not well defined midrange ( with his famous low-mids bump) and loud and crisp high end.

-Phil Jones 12B & Markbass F1:
    It sounds lower in volume (it's 6Ohms and less efficient), but I think farts out at lower volume than the scroeder (maybe cutting some lows and boosting mid lows can compete more in volume). It's the best bass sound that I never heard. A lot of lows, very clean mids and superb highs at any volume. It looses a bit definition in the mix when run the amp flat versus the Scroeder.

-Markbass MiniCMD121 & NY 121:
    Very good lows and mids, but the highs are too edgy for me, the little tweeters don't like much. If you not are in slap/tapping the overall soun it's very good, more lows and more refined than the Schroeder, and close in volume. When play in pubs, I have always problems with boomy lows coming from the rear ports if it's close to a wall.

-Markbass MiniCMD121 & Phil Jones Super Flightcase:
    Very good sounding combination, tight and defined lows, punchy mids (type scrhoeder), but very much pleasant high end. This strange combination is the most versatile for me, cause I can use the pre of the markbass or the flightcase, I can regulate the volume of each amp, and I can EQ each one independently.

-Superflightcase on top of the 12B-F1:
    Amazing sound, like the 12B alone, but more volume, specially on the mids-highs. You can hurt your ears with this slapping thunder machine.

In resume. I think the most versatile combination is the flightcase with the Markbass, and if one amp dies in the show, you still have another (it's not very common', but I had this problem almost four times in the last two years).

If you have any question.... I hope this will help someone!!!!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

If you could only keep 1 rig-which would it be?

3. electriccheese

electriccheese

I think the Markbass CMD121 and Superflightcase, cause the others are too big for rehearsal, and you can only take one of the combos to the smaller gigs.
    For volume the Schroeder, for tone the 12B and for versatility the two combos.
    The Markbass NY121 sounds better as a cabinet than the CMD121, but I preffer have two or more heads for when one brokes...

4. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Do you have any opinion between the PJB D-200 Amp with the 6B Cab V The Super Flight Case?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

I noticed the OP didn't mention the D200 here, but when I saw the Markbass vs. PJ, I was hoping to see the D200 vs. the F1. Is there a chance?

Thanks for the cool review!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Wow, very nice of you to do all the comparisons for us. Thank you.

You should put a link to this thread in your signature.

-Mike

8. vin*tone

vin*tone

If you could keep either the CMD121 or the PJB flight case for rehearsals/small gigs which would it be?

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

10. Peppacone

Peppacone

Those look like some beefy casters on the Phil Jones. Did they come with it?