1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phil Jones Super Flightcase BG-300 for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pmad_bass, Oct 25, 2008.

1. pmad_bass

pmad_bass

Any Upright players out there using the Phill Jones Super Flightcase BG-300?

I'm wondering if there are issuse with feedback\bettting the right balance of sound (top speakers vs front speakers, i.e. do you hear yur self too well etc).

Regards.
  2. Treyzer

Treyzer

Aloha

I have one of the Flightcase 300's and I love it. It is small, very light, produces a very uncolored sound and is studio quality in terms of noise and humm. I'm not a real techie gearhead...never have been... Just find what works and stick with it.

Typically, I'll set the amp on my right side about 2 or 3 feet away from me and a little behind me close to a wall if possibble. The cab has four 5 inch speackers which face forward and 3 ports below that. It works best on the ground and close to a wall. The two 5 inch speakers mounted on top and facing up do not produce feedback because they are not pointing at your bass...unless your playing directly over the top of the amp. These 2 speakers provide a really good monitoring system. You can really hear yourself, your intonation, attack, phrasing ect. For me that is really helpful...for some maybe not. The amp is 250 watts and that seems to be plenty of headroom at least for the volumes I want to play.

I also own a 300 watt Walter Woods and an AE cab. I don't use them much anymore... The Phil Jones FlightCase 300 just sounds to good and is so dependable and easy to haul around.

I also use a Fishman Full Circle and a Platinum Pro. However, I set both of these to be as transparent as possible.

I am not an endorsee or anything like that. Just one guy and it is a pretty new product so not a lot of people have them so far... but it is a great amp.:cool:

Trey
  3. pmad_bass

pmad_bass

How would you describe the sound difference when the cabinet is positioned near a rear wall as opposed to when you play, say- in the center of a rom (or when you are not near a rear wall)?

I am considering getting the AMT mic and have some concerns as to if this combination would work well together.

Regards.
  4. Treyzer

Treyzer

Aloha again...

I use an AMT mike as well... Gues I forgot... This provides air and a pretty true UB sound in the house. I've played the Flighcase in an almost open air setting. If there is a PA you can take your Pickup sound direct out or use the AMT into the board which I always prefer. I can't say enough good things about the FlightCase 300... Love that speaker amp combo

Trey
  5. pmad_bass

pmad_bass

Do you have the AMT the mounts to the tailpiece?
    If so- are you able to leave it permanently mounted?
    i.e. Does you case go on with out issues?

Regars,
    -PMad
  6. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Treyzerrrrrr, what's happenin' chief?

Do you ever run your AMT into the Flightcase?
  7. bnutz

bnutz

Hey All,
    If want to check back in a few days, I'm borrowing a buddy's Flightcase for a gig on Tuesday and will post my review after I've had a chance to use it.

I've got Shen 7/8 Willow Flatback with a Fishman Full Circle that I run into an LR Baggs PADI and then into an SWR California Blonde. I really like the tone I get with that combination. It's very natural and unaffected, but I feel like I need the PADI to cut feedback because when I start tweaking the EQ on the Blonde it drastically alters the tone of the bass. I'd really like to simplify and not have to cart around a (heavy) amp in addition to a Pre/DI.

My friend loves his Flightcase and I'm hoping it'll do the trick.

I'll let you know.

-b
  8. Treyzer

Treyzer

Howzit Steve?

Hope all is well. Hope your playin & groovin all the time!
    I usually use the AMT through the house system. It gives the overall sound air & presence. I typically use the Flightcase as an onstage monitor with the Fishman Full Circle and The Platinum Pro. It is a very natural an uncolored sound. The bass I play live is real punchy so I try to just let it sound like it sounds and keep all IQ (joke) as flat as possible. I really love the Flightcase 300.. Nt only does it sound great but I can carry it with one hand while I've got my bass slung on my shouler!

I'm gonna a webpage or myspace page link up on my login pretty soon! Hopefully that will be a way to communicate a bit better. My 17 year old is helping me! Ha

Aloha nui loa

Trey:bag:
  9. kwd

kwd

sorry for the hijack-
    I just finished playing for 3 hours on California Blonde and loved it. I brought two preamps but didn't use them as it sounded so good going directly in. I had to deal with a lot of super low frequencies -which probably would have been remedied by high pass filter. Are you running your pre/DI in the AUX input, or into one of the standard inputs? Too bad it's such a beast to tote around.
  10. Treyzer

Treyzer

Aloha,

If you're asking me, I'm running my pre/DI into the standard input. I probably don't even need to use it as I run the EQ almost flat. Probably just habit at this point. The AMT always goes through the house. It sounds the most natural and present this way. At least to me. I used to have much heavier gear. Since I don't have techs anymore, moving my stuff, I'll stick with the light & powerful Flightcase 300!
  11. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

OK chief, that's what I thought. Pickup into the Phil Jones as a stage monitor, AMT to the house. Nice.

I blend a Rev Solo II and a Beyer M 88 TG using a 2 channel Focus. High pass filter on the p/u, both channels w/ no EQ. Love what the mic does to the sound. But I can only make it go so loud before the mic feeds back. Bummer.

Those must be neo drivers in the Super if the thing's that light. I would like to audition a 4B cab at some point. But at 39 lbs., I'm guessing those are ceramics.

I bet all the Phil Jones gear sounds righteous.
  12. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

You had techs??? :bag:

Just kidding. I know'z you're the real deal pal.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, the Flightcase BG-150 and BG-300 use neodymium-magnet drivers (as do the cabs in the Neo-Power line, the 6B, 8B, and 12B). The Briefcase, Suitcase, and the remaining PJB cabs (including the 4B) use ceramic-magnet drivers.

Tom.
  14. Jim Calhoun

Jim Calhoun

Does the Super Flightcase have a line out for an extension speaker? If so, what's the minimum impedance?
  15. bnutz

bnutz

I run the DI into the regular Channel 1 input, mainly because I want to have the EQ flexibility of that channel.

I've always been really happy with the tone, although I think it starts to fart out a little bit when I have to crank the volume (I sometimes play in a traditional country or rock 'n roll/rockabilly type band) when competing with a drummer and electric guitars. I know they make an extension cab, but that's even more weight and stuff!

-b
  16. bnutz

bnutz

I played on the Flightcase 150 last night, not the 300.

FWIW, I loved it. Really punchy, plenty of low end and super light. The amp was very transparent and just amplified the natural tone of my bass extremely well, but also seemed to minimize that piezo "thwap" that I tend to get when I don't use my Baggs PADI to pull out 800 hz (which usually seems ot do the trick). I was running the EQ flat and had the limiter turned off.

A second channel (especially one with a mic input as on my California Blonde) would be great, though. I've been in the market for a mic and would love to not have to carry around a blender, too.

I think I'll probably look at the higher power model. I was playing with a gypsy jazz band with two LOUD acoustic guitars and a drummer playing a snare with brushes, all of which were going through the house and the 150 was cranked. There was no discernable tonal degradation at that volume, but a little more headroom would have been nice.

Hope this helps.

-b
  17. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Thanks Tom. Got any broad brush compare & contrast comments re: the PJ neos v. their ceramics?
  18. Treyzer

Treyzer

Bolo "You had techs???"

Sorry...I just reread my post and that part was supposed to reinforce the fact that it is easy to transport... I did not mean to come off as if i was overly impressed with myself:crying:

Bnutz "I think I'll probably look at the higher power model. I was playing with a gypsy jazz band with two LOUD acoustic guitars and a drummer playing a snare with brushes, all of which were going through the house and the 150 was cranked. There was no discernable tonal degradation at that volume, but a little more headroom would have been nice."

I had the 150 for a minute... The 300 is 250 watts and has much more power and headroom. same tranparent sound!

:bassist:
  19. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Naw you didn't come off that way. I was just giving you a hard time. What being retired from the LA scene and coasting along now in a tropical paradise and all that. :)

Like I said, I know you're the real deal. Frankly, I'm just jealous.
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They are pretty similar, really, though I do hear a little more attack from the ceramics. The Neo-Power cabs are a tad more smooth, with slightly more upper midrange presence. The ceramics seem to have a tad more kick in the low-mids.

But they are really close, and of course some of this difference may be due to the different cab layouts (Phil doesn't make any identical cabs with just the drivers being different).

Tom.