1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phil Upchurch On Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xsogol, May 27, 2005.

1. xsogol

xsogol

I've read that John Paul Jones was influenced by Phil Upchurch, who I've seen as mainly a guitarist....what songs does Phil Upchurch play bass on? If anyone can fill me (us) in, it would be greatly appreciated!!! :bassist:
  2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

I think that Phil Upchurch plays bass on some of George Benson's albums on the CTI label from the early '70s. JimK may know which ones.
  3. JimK

JimK

The very 1st Jazz album I ever bought with my own money was CTI's Bad Benson by George Benson. Upchurch's rhythm guitar on that record was killin'....Upchurch did play electric bass on Side 2's "Full Compass". Very cool part, though, I would not say the tone blew me away.
    Regarding Breezin', I always think of Stanley Banks as the primary bassist. Could be possible that Upchurch plays bass on "6 to 4"...maybe?
  4. leanne

leanne

No kidding? I had no idea, that's great!

Upchurch also plays bass on a Buddy Guy tune called "Keep it to Myself." It sounded so cool to me when I first heard it, I ran out and bought flatwound strings that same day!

He's recorded bass on Muddy Waters albums, (I think) Howlin Wolf, and Grover Washington--I am pretty sure he is on Mister Magic.
  5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Upchurch was part of the "house band" at Chess Records in the late '60s, but was one of the two guitarists (Pete Cosey being the other). Louis Satterfield was the bassist on those psychadelic Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf albums etc.
  6. JimK

JimK

I pulled out "Full Compass" this morning...man.

Here's what I have for the 1st phrase-
    (All Triplets, start on the "&" of Beat 1)
    l-&a 2&a 3&a 4&al1&a 2&a 3&a 4_-l

l-BD C#FAb GBD C#AbFlF#A#C# CEG F#F#EF#_-l

This can be practiced as an etude-
    "Easier" to maybe see it & finger it as clusters of 3 notes-
    B-D-C# Played on the E & A strings using a 4-2-1 pattern with the fretting hand
    F-Ab-G Played on the A & D strings using a 4-2-1
    B-D-C# Played on the D & G strings using a 4-2-1

The initial B is on the 7th fret/E-string; the D & C# are on the A string
    >the 2nd group of 3 notes are 1 fret up using the A & D
    >>the 3rd group of 3 notes are 1 fret up using the D & G

So it moves from B-F-B...tritones?

Same goes for the triads-
    F#-A#-C# uses the A & D strings
    >F# is played at the 9th fret/A string(fretting hand fingers = 2-1-4)

C-E-G uses the D & G strings
    >C is played 1 fret up at the 10th fret(fretting hand fingers = 2-1-4)

Moves from F#/Gb to C

...and the tempo is, uh, quick-quick!
    ;)
  7. xsogol

xsogol

Thanks for the tips guys! I figured I'd re-open this thread as I'm still curious which recordings I can find Mr. Upchurch playing a 4 string. :hyper:
  8. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Upchurch played bass in the studio with many Chicago acts outside the Chess roster...I have some old LPs by folksinger Bonnie Koloc that he's on.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Phil's on Howl'n Wolf's London Sessions.
    Fine groove player.
  10. Lo.

Lo.

Go to Allmusic.com, search him out and check his credits - Lot's of great blues albums in the 60's and 70's.

There's also Bill Upchurch - a Motown session player - I wonder if it's the same guy, or related...
  11. Lo.

Lo.

"Cold Sweat" on "Darkness, Darkness" album - Phil Upchurch

Harvey Mason & Chuck Rainey

Just heard for first time.

Jaw
    on
    floor.
  12. nolaguy

nolaguy

Check out his work with Little Milton on Chess Records- Jamerson on steroids.