1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Philosophy Amplifiers LLC- Handwired Tube Bass Amp Manufactuer

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Amps & Cabs' started by Philosophy Amps, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Philosophy Amps

Philosophy Amps

0   0   0

Disclosures:
    CMO, Lead Product Manager, Philosophy Amplifiers LLC
    Greetings TalkBass!

We are Philosophy Amplifiers LLC. We are a brand new Boutique, Tube Bass Amp Manufacturer located in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Philosophy Amplifiers

Philosophy has never had trouble standing out in today’s bass amp marketplace. While the market has been bombarded by countless hi-wattage, pocket size bass amplifier solutions--Philosophy has chosen to deviate from the herd. Philosophy’s identity stemmed with the concept of bringing the spotlight back onto the bass-player.

Each amplifier delivers 200-Watts of pure, analog tube power. From a listener perspective, the amp has as much low-end and punch as a 500+ watt solid-state type amplifier. The amp’s harmonically rich midrange is the key to it’s complex and signature sound. The low end stays firm throughout the entirety of the power band, and the treble remains clear and pleasing to the ear. Most notably, the amp has a gain knob that allows the user to achieve a natural tube crunch tone if they so desire. No overdrive pedal required.

Our amplifier surpasses all nearby competitors due to it’s unique and warm tonality, versatility, all-tube circuitry, bold and attractive aesthetics, and functionality. We stand alone in quality, as well as in our desire to build life-long relationships with our clients– both local and domestic.

Videos:
    Philosophy Amplifiers 200 Watt Tube Bass Amp with Evan Veenstra - YouTube
    Philosophy Amplifiers 200 Watt Tube Bass Amp with Jesse Mancillas - YouTube

Features:
    • All Tube Signal Path
    • 200 Watts Class AB
    • (4) JJ KT-88 Power tubes
    • (3) JJ 12ax7 Preamp tubes
    • Capable of both clean and overdriven sounds, no pedals required
    • Over-Spec’d Power and Output Transformers
    • Mustard Mallory Caps, Carbon Comp Resistors
    • Features Gain, Bass, Middle Sweep, Treble, and Master Controls
    • Illuminated LED Hour Glass

Technical Specs:
    · The tone controls cover very wide frequency ranges, so the below measurements are just the absolute peak of those ranges. Due to the dynamics of the tone stack, the frequencies given are not necessarily the only frequencies adjusted, just the absolute peaks.
    · Mid sweep - 250Hz to 1.1kHz (depending on position of bass and treble)
    · Bass - 25 Hz +/- 19dB
    · Treble - 1.4kHz +/- 15dB (up to 20kHz with certain settings)
    · Input impedance - 1M Ohm
    · Dimensions - 23.5 in. W x 12 in. L x 12 in. H (including feet and handles)
    · Weight - 50 lbs

For More information: Please go to:
    Philosophy Amplifiers
    Philosophy Amplifiers | Facebook
    youtube.com/philosophyamplifiers

We look forward to hearing from you!
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0

How come the thread has been erased....don't like being critiqued?
  3. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Pity they erased it, oh well. Seems to me if you want to advertize via interactive media you should be prepared for dialogue.

That second clip sounds great, I like the tones a lot, though I'm not sure how useful the mids knob would prove to be in gig settings. There seems to be a certain amount of scoop that can't be EQ'ed out? Is there any way to boost mids appreciably or is it just a sweep? How do the interact with the bass and treble knobs?

Gain structure sounds cool, love the various amounts of OD on tap.

My initial reservations still stand as regards to practicality of the form and ruggedness for gigging, and the specs quoted are minimal and not very useful, but that might not be important to everyone.

Let's see if their philosophy is for real- their slogan is "We look forward to hearing from you!".
  4. Blass702

Blass702

0   0   0

Just got one, sounds great! If you like the SVT sound, you will love this thing. Also, don't hate on this amp. I feel like all you bass players just want to argue with people in this thing. Anyways, thanks Philosophy Amps for making me an amp that gives me a unique, powerful tone.
  5. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

These would be excellent studio amps.
  6. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

How do the tone controls work, and interact? I'm trying to understand from the description but I'm having trouble getting my head around how they interact, and how the mids are controlled especially. There is a sweep but no cut or boost?

No one's hating, just trying to understand what makes this amp so different and superior to other tube amps out there. None of the people at the company seem interested enough to answer any questions.