Photo Swiping or Item Snipe-ing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff Elkins, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

I was surfing through the Used Gear on the GC website today, and came across a Price Dropped Gibson Midtown for $719, with case. Not knowing if that was a good price, I went to Google and did a "Shopping" search, and came up with another used one for $799. At first, I thought, "well, that's a price drop I guess"... but I looked more closely at the picture... and it was the GC photo being used on another site.
    Except it wasn't just the photo. The description matched, etc., down to the "w/c".
    So my question is--Was this other site planning to obtain the bass from GC and ship it out--or have it drop shipped from GC, pocketing the $80 for the work of reposting the ad?
    Have I been living under a rock, and this happens all the time? Or is it just this one site (or a few)?

Edit: I mean, they've somehow figured out that an instrument search on Google doesn't return GC Used Gear ads (at least not for me, not on the first page of results). Am I missing a business opportunity?

2. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

My suggestion would be if you are interested call the store and politely ask them to email you some additonal pictures. I have done this a couple of times and they have been pretty good about getting back to me.

3. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

That's solid advice.
    But I'm not interested in the bass--I am just interested in the business practice, and whether it's something I don't know about and should watch for in future!

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

If its a way to make money, I certainly wouldn't put it past people. Do your research, that's all I can say.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've seen that before as well. I just assumed one of the selling parties was a bit lazy and plagiarized the other sellers work.

-Mike