Photon vs Q tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I'm looking for something that sounds similar. With a LP setting but smaller. The m82 was horrible.
  2. Swift713

Swift713

Similar to what?
  3. Tony Flow MMMM

Sorry similar to the q tron in LP setting
  4. Swift713

Swift713

The Photon's not too far off. I'm a fan if the Qtron and I thought the Photon was very nice, not as flexible or potentially crazy over the top, but very nice.
  5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

By "Photon," do we mean "3Leaf Proton?"
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

Yes.. Sorry. Not as crazy or over the top? Darn. I love the q maxed out on my q tron but its still not enough
  7. Swift713

Swift713

Yes, Proton, sorry.
    Very strange, what bass are you playing, do you use the boost, how do you set the gain?
  8. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Have you tried bringing the Q down? There are some really narrow settings where the Qtron gets really fat, and it isn't always up=more IME. I have no experience with the Proton FWIW.
  9. Tony Flow MMMM

Oh I have been all around with the q. It's close I just really want a little more. I have used different basses ect. It's not me it's just the pedals most isn't enough. I guess I want excess.
  10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

You are wanting some really excessive fat if you can't get it from the Qtron :bassist:. I've found that with my basses the gain needs to be set at just above minimum to get optimal fat when not in boost mode. Have you been all the way through the gain range as well?
  11. Tony Flow MMMM

Yup. Just above minimum is where I Luik it
  12. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Fair enough. I think the Xerograph from Iron Ether has some of the fattest sounds from clips I've heard. Take a look there and maybe ask around about that.
  13. willsellout

willsellout

That pedal can get huge and out of control if you don't watch out. It's a great sounding filter and might be what the OP is looking for.
  14. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

+1 for the Proton. Very wet and funky, can get some extreme sweeps in there, especially in down mode.
  15. Tony Flow MMMM

Hmm I may be picking one up this week. Used for a good deal I hope it's not one of them pedals I flip within 30 mins of owning
  16. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I didn't fall in love with the 3Leaf Proton. At least with my Duck Dunn it had a limited range of sensitivity usefulness, with nearly none in the down-sweep setting. I much more enjoy the envelope filter in my Chunk Systems Squeezer, noting it has a lot more usefulness and granularity to the controls of the filter. I actually liked the Zoom B3 Moog filter sound better, too. Sorry, no sound clips comparing them all, I flipped the Proton too quickly.
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm digging the Gr1 but the EHX Mini Qtron is not to be ignored if you are after the burbling gurgling bubble of low pass funk thing. I dumped n MF101 in favor of the mini-QT. my fav EHX pedal of all... Doesn't have the quack of some of the other QT variations, which for me is a good thing.
  18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

The Mini Q-Tron (not to be confused with the Micro) is the second-best no-frills envelope filter I've ever tried (the Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah is the best). The size is notso "mini," though :).
  19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Very surprised really having a good experience with the Proton.
  20. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Anyone compared the new proton to the old? The original Proton wasn't "Mutron" enough for me, I was wondering if the new revision is a closer representative. Flying for most my shows I'm am trying to make size and weight cuts where I can. Leaving the big Mutron (used on half my sets) at home would be a plus.