1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Phutubass - lets start with spec

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by freatles, Jan 14, 2014.

1. freatles

freatles

*obsolete* :bassist:
  2. tungx

tungx

Is the length really 43"? That's 11" longer than the scale.
  3. freatles

freatles

Yes, a good 6-8" due to the "table stand" design - you can set it on a table or floor or against a wall. Thats my idea, anyway.
  4. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

That sounds crazy, but the world can use a little more crazy in it. Good luck and good building.
  5. MPU

MPU

Are you going to laminate the carbon fiber body and neck in a mold or how are you planning to make it?
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Interesting.

You've got a very aggressive weight goal. Do you know the weight on the bridges and tuners, pickups, electronics, and a set of strings?

It sounds like it would require plastic or wooden knobs. Metal would be too heavy.

What do you mean by friction fasteners?
  7. M0ses

M0ses

There is a computer onboard.

What.

You

are my hero.
  8. freatles

freatles

Deep Cat - Oh yes we need more of the good kind of crazy!

Well actually I will model it and order the parts from a shop.

pilotjones - 2014, baby! I guess we're not in "Kansas" anymore!

I don't know the total weight of the HW & tronics, atm. Gonna have some hard time with the target, thats for sure! A "friction fastener" is a threaded ring + an insert that has lips that tightens around the rod as you rotate the ring (afaik). Whachumacallit.

M0ses - thank you! :cool: Gonna be a long journey...
  9. freatles

freatles

Aww, just finished up drawing of a final draft in inkscape, took a nap. Came back to post the draft, clicked to activate inkscape window, which caused inkscape to crash instantly - after which I realized I hadn't saved any of the final draft :meh: *goes to find another program*
  10. freatles

freatles

*removed old draft*
  11. freatles

freatles

*removed old draft*
  12. freatles

freatles

Snuck in a little sunday morning quality time with the draft! :cool: Updated
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

You should check our Rick Toone, Strandberg and Klein for some inspiration for ergonomic designs.
  14. MPU

MPU

Do you have a shop in mind? How much is estimated costs?
  15. Emibass

Emibass

Give me a P-bass please!
  16. freatles

freatles

*removed final draft, ridiculous*
  17. freatles

freatles

My inspirations are Pagelli and Minarik! They have unsurpassed class and beauty :smug: (yes I know this may not show in this draft at all)

I have seen many (photos) of Strandbergs and Kleins and the Toone websites. Despite their pathblazing work, the bass culture seems to be stuck in the 50's model very much - for the good or bad.

Yes, I have an estimate from a friend-of-a-shop-owner and its "coupla-hundred" euros ('parisataa'). :p

Will you build it, then? With a P-bass a pickup rail may be unnecessary. :cool: