1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Physical Modelling

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassburner, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bassburner

bassburner

I was wondering if anyone use's a physical modelling technique with something other than wood to plan out the intricacies of the body shape. I'm thinking along the lines of how you see car designer's doing it. The advantages would be getting a real hands on feel for the body shape before you settle on something.

If so what kind of materials do you use. I was thinking I could fiddle with foam board insulation but that gets quite messy.
  2. Zwieke

Zwieke

You could look for a source of industrial plasticine, thats what the (car) modelmakers / industrial designers use. It allows for sculpting sharp edges as well as organic forms. It also has the benefit that it allows you to not only take away material, but to add material as well. You can even use (some) powertools on it.

Some arts supplies stores might carry it.
  3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I've used styrofoam and other foam boards.

Quite a few varities cut nicely with hot-wire tools.
    Some, not so nicely ;).

Unless one lives in the middle of the Sahara desert or above the tree line, pine and other soft woods are IME impossible to beat though when modeling small objects like an instrument.

Besides the cost, the only thing restricting the use of MDF, particle board, chip board and plywood is IME the tool dulling resins that eat up the savings in the material cost pretty fast.

Industrial modeling materials OTOH are IME very hard to get, and cost and arm and a leg.
    And the left nut ;).

Regards
    Sam
  4. senp5f

senp5f

Get yourself some pine, get it where you like it, then make your patterns from that. You can mess with other stuff, but if you just use good cheap wood then you also get the benefit of practicing cutting/routing the shape. If there's one curve you need to go really slowly on, then it's good to find that out with a $10 worth of pine!
  5. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

Surfboard foam works nicely, very very easy to shape, but it does get a little messy and I would recommend a dust mask for it. I've taken broken surfboards and stripped the fibreglass to use the foam for body design in the past, heck I've even used it for the body core in a build. Mind you, that was covered in carbon fibre :rolleyes:
  6. bassburner

bassburner

It sounds like the plasticine is not worth the cost as opposed to a cheaper wood and foam is not worth the trouble.

I think I'll stick with the pine.

Thanks